Update from NZ: OS Nationals 2018

Carsnz123

I'll start by saying I'm no writer so anyone who has the ability feel free to correct grammar and spelling. 

Oldschool.co.nz is an internet based club for anything pre 1989. We're mainly younger folk under the age of 50 taking our old cars for runs, having a good time, and not worrying about the things more conventional and organised clubs have to worry about. It's all about the people with cars and bikes thrown in the mix. Our national event for 2018 happened over the weekend on the lovely Banks Peninsula. Right on my doorstep effectively so I couldn't not go. None of my cars go at this point in time so I took my '86 Honda Rebel 450 motorbike It was basically a 4 day get-together involving driving/riding across the country side, talking about cars, and a few antics to fill in the gaps.

Friday was meet up, compete in a gymkhana, and head to camp in Wainui. We were staying at (And everyone knows its fun to stay at) the YMCA camp there. For some reason the nice Christians allowed 60 odd smelly old cars which leak oil to stay there. I ended up being late to the gymkhana due to purchasing new motorcycle boots and taking to the shop owner for ages. Got on the road with a big group and proceeded to overtake everyone (because motorbike) and had a very nice run over the hills without any traffic.

Saturday began with rain and nursing hangovers. I got woken up at 6:30 by rain on the thin roof where in was sleeping. not my bed. Just a comfortable couch I'd found the night before and nodded off on. Once the rain cleared we cruised over to Akaroa for a park up in the domain and sample New Zealand French food. If you're ever over there the butcher sells delicious pies. I took the scenic route back to camp and went for a blast over the twisties. My tyres cooling off on the shady parts of the road made for a little more excitement than I wanted initially but I soon worked out the rhythm. 

Sunday was the most eventful day. It started with a tour of am expansive car collection in Governors Bay which included the firing up of a Bugatti Type 35 and a D Type Jaguar. After that was a Pub lunch and a Scavenger hunt all over Banks Peninsula. Those of us on bikes just went for a joy ride. It was my first time attending the event but it was awesome and I would recommend it to everyone who wants a weekend to remember.   

Mixed bag of Pics from everyone. I was too busy riding to take any.  

20180408_210702.thumb.jpg.40d07ce478a850

tHiWAAx.jpg?1

20180408_000103-2124x1195.thumb.jpg.5547

794420FF-FDF0-4928-B219-BEA3963274B0.thu

3f2tjvv2.fu3.jpeg

Edited by Carsnz123 (see edit history)
  • Like 1