38 Century Lubricants/Grease

philipj

Hello there,

While reviewing the lubrication chart and going over the lubricant types and intervals, I have a couple of questions...

1- Water pump fan: SAE10 W oil? You really got me here...

2- Rear Axle: SAE 90 oil- GL1 MIneral based?

3- Brake Master: GM #5 Hydraulic brake fluid. Surely it is DOT 3 fluid...

4- Transmission: SAE 140-160 Mineral based?

5- Steering Gear: Steering gear lubricant? Anything more specific here?

Someone with a series 40 told me to use SAE 160 on everything, transmission and rear end, especially here in Florida... Any fluid recommendations?

I do not want to use anything synthetic though. It would be trouble for this car...

Edited by philipj (see edit history)

Phillip ! PHILLIP !!!! NOTHING SYNTHETIC ? The Sun rises in the West , and sets in the East. Right ? At an absolute bare minimum , use synthetic multigrade engine oil , the very best in the entire known universe for your car is Amsoil Z-Rod.  Comes in 10W/30  and  20W/50. Probably for your use "in season" in Florida , a 50/50 mix for a 15W/40 might be best. If you and your Bu' can take the Summer heat and direct Sun of FL summers , the 20W/50 would be great. Synthetic grease. Synthetic grease , period - stop. You have hypoid gears in your diff. This calls for EP gear oil. EP is the only way to protect your gears. You are in Florida. Use a 140 synthetic EP gear oil. You absolutely can NOT , repeat CAN NOT use the same lube in a hypoid diff , and a synchromesh transmission. You MUST use EP for any hypoid , but EP lubricates too well against sliding forces for the synchros to work. It can also be corrosive in that case. I have to try to do something difficult at the moment. If I can't do it , I will be back shortly. I always have to add that I have nothing whatsoever to do with Amsoil other than to use it. If I could be convinced there is something better , I would use that. There is nothing too good for my cars.   - Carl

Phillip,

I have moved your post to the Buick Pre-War Forum. You are more likely to find appropriate responses here. Also, do yourself a favor and try out the search feature of the forum. This subject has been discussed many times. 

A quick copy and paste from a previous discussion for you...

My personal recommendation for the transmission and differential would be Master Pro GL4 SAE 140 gear oil available in a gallon jug from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/masterpro-chemicals-4341/chemicals---fluids-16461/grease---lube-16582/gear-oil---additives-16905/gear-oil---140w-20063/gear-oil/80040/4495693/2002/buick/lesabre?q=gear+oil

As far as oil,  just about any oil you will find today is better than what was available in 1938. Off the top of my head, Shell Rotella Oil designed for Diesel engines has more of the ZDDP that you want for an older car. There are others as well such as Brad Penn Oils and American XT oil that is sold at Family Dollar Store.

For brake fluid, DOT 3 or DOT 4 depending on what is already in the system. 

Hello Mathew,

I started reviewing the many posts regarding lubricants and it can make your head spin! There are many opinions but few concrete answers at times as to what is best for something that was designed in 1938... From full synthetics/blends for the engine, straight weight vs multigrade, etc. I just do not want to make a costly mistake/damage something or leave a puddle of oil wherever I go... I much appreciate your direct and straight answer regarding the gearbox and rear differential.. I guess one must use an EP lubricant (Extreme Pressure) for the differential, and a non (EP) gear oil that will not compromise your synchro hub/rings... To recap and add a few more things, I will continue with the list below:

1- Water pump fan: (SAE10 W oil) Have not found a lubricating port..

2- Rear Axle: Master Pro (GL4) SAE 140 Hypoid (EP) gear oil. O'reilly's Auto Parts, #80040

3- Brake Master: (GM #5 Hydraulic brake fluid)  DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid...

4- Transmission: (Summer) SAE 140/160 GL1. Miller's Vintage Green (NON- EP) mineral-based gear oil. 1 & 5 Ltr available. Ebay/Amazon. (Winter) SAE 90 GL1 mineral based gear Oil.  Napa# 65-201

5- Steering Gear: Classic Steering gear worm oil: Miller's Oils, 1ltr. Ebay/Amazon, # 5529JJ

6- Front shocks: Hydraulic Jack Oil, Napa#1541

7- Engine: Rotella 15W-40 Diesel oil, Amsoil Z-rod, Mobil 10W-30, Straight 30W Napa # NOL 75115

Edited by philipj (see edit history)