SOLD - 1931-33 Gazelle Radiator Cap SALE/TRADE

I have had several inquiries and am now taking a poll in order to determine fair market value for this cap.....What do you all think?

So I have an early Gazelle radiator cap.  It does not fit my CM-6 roadster as it is the larger version.  I have been told that there were only two sizes Large (8Cyl & Imperials) and Small (6cyl).

This cap is beautiful. Obviously restored with great care and detail.  Part # is 314761.

I would trade for one that fits my car or sell this one for $650.00.

s-l1600.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by jfiely
Update (see edit history)

I have seen a couple of other post related to these caps.  Does anyone have a picture of a CM6 Roadster/Coupe with a fitted Gazelle style cap?  Any information about fitting one of these on my CM6 would be appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...

This particular very nice cap is for the 8 cyl cars, and cannot be used on 6 cyl cars. As shown, this is a 2 piece ornament. The removable "Gazelle" I believe is same for both 6cyl and 8cyl cars. However the base is different, the 6 cyl has smaller diameter base to fit smaller hole in rad shell, and measures about 4.5" nose to tail versus this 8cyl one which is closer to 5.5" nose to tail. Your valuation is about market, several good ones have sold on eBay in past 2 years for $500-$800+shipping. The Gazelle's are often damaged (broken horns), so perhaps you just need to look for a good 6cyl base with a poor Gazelle for circa $200 and swap the Gazelles. 

28 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

This particular very nice cap is for the 8 cyl cars, and cannot be used on 6 cyl cars. As shown, this is a 2 piece ornament. The removable "Gazelle" I believe is same for both 6cyl and 8cyl cars. However the base is different, the 6 cyl has smaller diameter base to fit smaller hole in rad shell, and measures about 4.5" nose to tail versus this 8cyl one which is closer to 5.5" nose to tail. Your valuation is about market, several good ones have sold on eBay in past 2 years for $500-$800+shipping. The Gazelle's are often damaged (broken horns), so perhaps you just need to look for a good 6cyl base with a poor Gazelle for circa $200 and swap the Gazelles. 

There is another 8 cylinder version, possibly for the Imperial only. Large with an opening behind the front legs and ribs on the antlers....

Picture 9572.jpg

Picture 9574.jpg

I believe all the horns were originally "spiraled" like a real Gazelle, but most restored ones have had the spirals lost in the refinishing process as pitting is dealt with. As for the change in the leg area, more likely a refinement for later 8cyl cars. 

6 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

I believe all the horns were originally "spiraled" like a real Gazelle, but most restored ones have had the spirals lost in the refinishing process as pitting is dealt with. As for the change in the leg area, more likely a refinement for later 8cyl cars. 

Yes....1933 Chrysler Imperial cap had the space behind the front legs.

• jfiely changed the title to SOLD - 1931-33 Gazelle Radiator Cap SALE/TRADE