1940 Buick Coupe Rear Quarter Seals

kingrudy

Does anyone have some good photos of the seals on the rear quarter windows on a 1940 Buick Coupe. I believe that this would be typical for all of the Torpedo body cars (Buick, Cadillac, Pontiac and Oldsmobile). Thanks for any help that you could supply.

Mike

Mike, I looked at my brothers `41 Pontiac coupe with the slide back windows which  has the "flexible sweeper" seals, 7/16" tall by 15/64" wide. "Chevsofthe40s" has the sweeps with SS bead in 32"-48"-64" lengths, you would need 4pieces @ 64" to do both rear quarter windows, sweeps will have to be bent to fit yours. Look (or remove your garnish) at yours closely on the inside top of your garnish, you should see an approx. 1" long piece of stainless covering the butt joint of the sweep, you may have to reuse that piece. Your original sweeps were put on with staples, when I`ve replaced these type of sweeps I use #4 SS flat head metal screws to attach. These slide back windows have a trough with a drain hose which is behind the 1/4 panel, might be wise to check while doing the sweeps, that 78yr old hose could be rotted off and water dumping in the floorboard., or at least pour some water in the trough and see if it drains out, lower end of hose comes thru floorboard behind rocker panel. Good luck, Tom

Hello,

I have the sliding windows with a chrome reveal on the outside. I have the sweeps with the SS bead on the reveal and on the inside window garnish, but not sure what to do with the forward portion of the window. Steele Rubber sells a product listed as "Sliding Quarter Window Seal" p/n 60-0398-78. I think that this is what I need, but not sure. If it were $10 I would take a flyer on this, but the part is $63 so I am hoping this is right. What do you think?

Thanks,

Mike

BCA 44810

1940 Super Coupe

Mike, I slid the window back on my brothers Pontiac and there is a flat rubber piece(deteriorated) about a foot long that the front edge of the glass seals against. Looks to me like you could take a piece of flat weatherstripping and make a piece to fit, and use contact cement to attach a lot cheaper than Steele Rubber, probably closer to the $10 you mention. Tom

I can certainly be patient if someone could send me a couple of pics. My car was at a restoration shop that went out of business, so I'm flying blind on this one. He removed all of the seals, but some stuff is missing. The way that Steele Rubber makes this part looks like it comes all of the way down to cover a couple of bolts by the slide mechanism.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had a chance to look at the seals on the rear quarter windows lately? If you could include a picture or two, I would sure appreciate it. I am looking at the ones that are offered by Steele Rubber, but don't know if what they have is accurate.