FOUND 58 BUICK SPECIAL

DRIVING AROUND THE OTHER DAY I ACCIDENTLY FOUND A 1958 BUICK SPECIAL SITTING IN A GARAGE. I AM VERY INTERESTED IN THIS CAR BUT WONDERING WHAT IT IS ACTUALLY WORTH. IT IS A SPECIAL WITH A THREE SPEED TRANSMISSION AND 51,000 ACTUAL MILES IN VERY GOOD ORIGINAL CONDITION. I WOULD BE BUYING IT FROM THE 2ND OWNER WHO JUST HAD IT DETAILED. I OFFERED HIM $5000 AND HE WANTS $5500. THE ONLY REASON I HAVENT BOUGHT IT IS THAT I WANTED A HIGHER OPTIONED CAR AND HAVE LOCATED ONE OF THOSE FOR LESS MONEY A LONG WAY FROM WHERE I LIVE. I WONT REALLY KNOW THE CONDITION OF THAT CAR UNTIL I SEE SOME PICTURES AND EITHER LOOK AT IT OR HAVE SOMEONE ELSE LOOK AT IT. IS A LOW OPTION 58 WORTH THIS KIND OF MONEY. IT LOOKS LIKE YOU COULD GET INTO IT AND DRIVE ANYWHERE WITH NO WORRY<P>------------------<BR>

When you consider the cost you would incur to restore a car in lesser condition than the one you are looking at, the low-option '58 Special looks like a good deal. You could spend considerably more than $5,500 on paint alone for a restoration project.<P>Cars that are unusual because of their lack of options are fun and unique, but if this is not your cup of tea, it is certainly possible to add correct factory options over a period of time.<P>Check out the new issue of "Collectible Automobile", which should just be hitting the newsstands. There is a fine article on the '57 and '58 Buicks, and the final page includes realistic value information on all models and series. (This is the Feb., 2001 issue, with a '57 Special convertible on the front cover.)<P>Good luck, and keep us posted.<P>Brian Laurance, BCA #5168<BR>'59 Electra, '71 Centurion, '89 LeSabre<P>

If the car is in good to excellent condition, yes, it probably is worth $5500. I have a '58 Special with standard shift, and it is a lot of fun to drive. It has terrific performance when compared with a Dynaflow car of the same model. The stick-shift cars are very rare, especially in 1958. <P>How about the condition of the chrome? The cost of replating on these cars can be very great. Also, the body style helps to determine the value, with the 4-door sedan being the most common and therefore worth the least. The 2-door hardtop and the convertible are more desireable and therefore worth more. The trim pieces, if any have to be replaced, can be very costly on these cars, with the rear bumper ends being the worst (cost-wise and most likely to need replacement).<P>My car is a mostly restored 2-dr. hardtop '58 Special with 72,000 miles, and worth about $7000-$8000 if that helps you any. I might be able to help you find some parts, if needed. My email is pphillips@netexas.net if I can be of any help.<P>Pete Phillips<BR>Secretary, N. Texas Chapter, BCA<BR>Secretary, BCA National Board

THE CAR I LOOKED AT IS A NEAR PERFECT EXAMPLE. NO RUST OR DENTS AND THE CHROME NEAR PERFECT FOR THE AGE. IT IS A 4 DOOR SEDAN AND I DID LOOK THE COST OF PAINTING ONE OF THESE CARS. UNLESS I FIND SOMETHING MAJOR WRONG WITH IT I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DRIVE AND ENJOY THIS CAR FOR MANY YEARS WITH VERY LITTLE COST. THE ONLY TWO OPTIONS I MIGHT LIKE TO ADD WOULD BE POWER STEERING AND A VERY GOOD ADD ON AIR CONDITIONING AND I DONT KNOW WHAT EITHER WOULD COST

I have added A/C to my 47 Buick and also to most street rods I build. I ALWAYS go with Vintage Air.<BR>They are the easiest to install and to fit. If you have a large car they make a system that will fit that too.<BR>Their catalog alone is worth the 5 bucks they charge for the knowledge you can gain about Auto A/C just by reading it.<BR>Try them, you wont be dissapointed.<BR>Bill

Bill Stoneberg,<P>I have heard good things about Vintage Air from others as well. I've struggled with the decision, largely because my '59 is a completely unmolested original. It is not a show car, but originality and stock appearance are important to me. Certainly, I would not want to modify the original dashboard/instrument panel, and I would hope to keep any cutting to the firewall area to a minimum. Do you (or others) have any response to these concerns?<P>Despite my desire for originality, it's important to me that my wife and kids be willing to participate in long tours and long-distance shows with me. I intend to drive the '59 from Seattle to Flint and return for the 2003 Buick Centennial Celebration, and I would have difficulty to subjecting the family to a 5,000-plus mile trip in the summer heat with a non-air conditioned car.<P>Has anyone else wrestled with the decision to add Vintage Air? Is it likely to enhance or detract from the value of our old Buicks?<P>Thanks for your comments.<P>Brian Laurance, BCA #5168<BR>1959 Electra, 1971 Centurion, 1989 LeSabre

Sintid, the 58 sounds like a jem. His asking price sounds very reasonable for a car that needs nothing to hit the road. That kind of money would just rechrome one end of a Buick.<BR> Brian, we think along the same lines. I love the look of my car but the safety and comfort of it's passengers is first. My 57 Roadmaster will have Vintage Air when all is reassembled. They appear to have units that would install without defacing the car. Would it add or detract from the cars value, would depend on the buyer. Doug BCA 33850

I have a 57 that I just installed AC in ,and I used the system from Classic Air from Tampa. The reason I used it is because thay have a unit that fits on the trunk and blows up from the package shelf in the rear. This way you have your original heat and defrost unit intact. I just got back from TN and FL and it works GREAT!!!