Where might I try to get a piston from?

Dave Young

On 2/7/2018 at 8:15 AM, edinmass said:

Last set of another named brand listed on this thread had three cracked piston skirts in less than one thousand miles, and two broken rings. I wont post the name, as my earlier post was removed........

I did not install them, I just had to clean up the mess, pistons, rings, valves, there is a lot of poor work being done today by people who just dont know pre war engines. As most of the say, its just a flat head. About 75 percent of engines that come through the shop today are do overs. 

Sounds like what I was recently told by a gentleman in PA who has many 32’ Olds models in storage. He is also into Packards and Caddy’s I believe but could be wrong on the brands. His newly rebuilt motor lost a few piston skirts within its first few miles. Maybe it’s the same guy? Can’t remember if it was an 8 or 12 cylinder car he was telling me about. They were not Ross pistons but another well known brand.

Interesting update on the piston story. Aries has recently been sold, and is in or just finishing the process of moving. They were bought by a well know performance parts manufacturing concern. It’s my understanding things will be up and back to normal soon, if not already. It seems there is a lot of consolidation going on out west in the LA area with specialty parts manufacturers of cars, boat, and aircraft parts producers. I have been told as far as Aries goes, there is no concern about quaility or production, and many old employees came along with the move. This is ALL second hand info, but believed to be accurate. Ed