Vacum Line Question/2D option

hermanangus

Hi All,

Here's one for you. My Car has the quire rare(I'm told) 2D Heavy Duty Air Conditioner Modification option. From what I have learned and observed that seems to mean that the car had a number of parts added to it that regular non A/C cars did not have. In the case of my car that would be the fan shroud, a complete unused fuel return line from motor bay to tank, and a alternator bracket with A/C mounting holes(see pic). My question relates to the vacuum tank mounted on the passenger inner fender. Does this normally serve a function in  a non A/C car? Mine has a vacuum supply line that initiates on the intake manifold, but I have nothing connected to the tank otherwise.So basically I am trying to figure out if I am missing a vacuum line to something, or is the vacuum tank just another part of this option.

Full page photo.pdf

Edited by hermanangus (see edit history)

The AC mod option was basically a heavy duty cooling/charging option. Very much like a "towing" package. There is some mystery as to the exact componets included with the AC modification, even after studying the Buick parts book. So your car may prove a very useful study tool. 

The vacuum source for the HVAC controls in your console should come from the vacuum tank on the pass fender well. So, yes, there should be a vacuum line which runs from the small vacuum tank thru the firewall which supplies the vacuum controls in the console. More to come..

Tom Mooney

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

The fuel return line should be hooked up and operational. The fuel return helps prevent vapor lock by circulating fuel back to the tank. Again, think heavy duty cooling for towing, etc. Someone may have discontinued the system because they were using a non-AC fuel filter which does not have the return line nipple.

Tom

I also have a source which states "dash modifications" should be part of the AC mod option....do you have AC vent registers at the left and right of your dash? Would love to see a pic of the dash and especially the HVAC controls. Hope the above posts help,

Tom Mooney

Hey Tom,

I do not have the AC vents on either side of the dash. Here is a slightly blurry pic of the dash. I agree with you about the fuel return line being disconnected due to a switch of fuel filter or even pump. If I ordered either I would do so for a non AC car.

Which controls are vacuum run? It feels like all of sliders are mechanical, and the lights, wipers, and antenna are electrical.

Thanks

008.JPG

54 minutes ago, hermanangus said:

Hey Tom,

I do not have the AC vents on either side of the dash. Here is a slightly blurry pic of the dash. I agree with you about the fuel return line being disconnected due to a switch of fuel filter or even pump. If I ordered either I would do so for a non AC car.

Which controls are vacuum run? It feels like all of sliders are mechanical, and the lights, wipers, and antenna are electrical.

Thanks

008.JPG

Ahhh...very interesting. I always wondered why Buick would modify the dash for a cooling/charging option so perhaps my source, which is factory literature, is mistaken. But I have always fancied the idea one might be able to produce fresh air and/or heated air out of what are normally air conditioning vents in a non-air AC mod car. That`s probably really confusing but I thought perhaps Buick followed thru with what amounts to an AC build, but without the actual refrigeration components in an AC mod build. This would give the operator the ability to control air flow as in an AC equipped car. That`s why I was very curious about the dash layout and HVAC controls. But if your dash is as original then Buick installed the standard non-air dash in AC mod cars...

Your controls are mostly cable but I clearly see a vacuum diaphram on the firewall which, now that I have seen the dash layout, is almost certainly a fresh air diaphram. This diaphram/door when closed keeps air from being forced thru the HVAAC system when the car is at speed. The door opens when ventilation/heat is requested and should be controlled thru the HVAC panel in the console, hence the need for a vacuum feed to the controls. Hope this helps,

Tom Mooney

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)