1961 Dan Gurney 409 Impala

Imported from Australia after 55 years, this Impala is now in New Jersey seeking a new owner. Original rust-free body, Original engine block, trans and rear. All the chassis racing modifications are present. Many original parts. Converted to RHD. Purchased new by Dan Gurney and raced at Silverstone, England in May '61, then sold to racer Laurie O'Neil who shipped it to Australia. Ownership history and a letter of authentication from Dan Gurney. About 1/2 restored.

This is the only 1961 Chevy on the planet with its original 409 engine block! One of 142 produced.

This is a one of one car and deserves to be in a fine collection. Asking $115K. Contact me for more details and photos.

Thank you.DG-sc-1961.jpg.ead01c8b6c14a1a321fc400a15f292de.jpg5a564a8e33480_GurneycarBathurstAD.jpg.129f0da1854016b99dc26b2ec6b47c2c.jpg

Edited by Verne L Frantz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

HI George,

I've been documenting these cars for 35 years and I am aware of every '61 409 car that has surfaced. I've investigated several others that claimed original engine, but they all failed the test. You can Google my name and read my reputation.

If you have a '58-'64 "X" frame Chevy that you wish to have documented as to its originality, I can be hired for the task.

Thanks

Verne

• Like 2

Vern,

I've never met you, but know of you & of your reputation. The reason for my question is that when I hear "the only one" or something similar, red flags go up for me. For a car to be the only one out of several, or out of less than 100, or out of 100 or more, would mean that EVERY car of that group has been located & documented or verified destroyed.

So, in the case of the '61 409, if all 142 409 cars have been accounted for, & this is the only one left with it's original block/engine then yes it is "the only one". Otherwise it's the only one known at this time. There is a difference & in the case of a car like a '61 409, it's a big difference.

You never know what will turn up. As I recall, several years ago there was an early Tempest on Ebay listed as a project. I believe the seller may have bought it from an old guy that had it in a garage or barn. Turned out to be an original factory sponsored drag car. The auction was going along at a low bid until news got out as to what the car was. I think it ended up selling way north of 100K......and up until then no one knew the car even existed.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 3/4/2018 at 12:28 PM, Verne L Frantz said:

FYI: This car had been sold.

What is the date code on the engine? My dad was one of the GM engineers at the GM Tech Center in Warren MI on the Ws. I owned a 65 SS 409-400 in 68. I was 16. Bought from this dealer when new. It was special ordered.

1965 409 (6).jpg

1965-409 (8).jpg

dealer-emmert-chevrolet-detroit.jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

The original engine has a cast date of Nov 16, 1960. It was one of the first batch of castings that were done with an incorrect casting number. The incorrect one was ground off and stamped with the correct number. The second batch of castings also had an error on two digits which were also ground off and restamped. The 3rd batch of castings finally got all 7 digits casted correctly.

I'm aware of the original design engineers for the W project. What was your father's name? Was he assigned to the project after it was developed in '58 or part of the original team?

BTW, the 400hp 409 you owned was one of just 742 produced in '65.

Verne

2 hours ago, Verne L Frantz said:

The original engine has a cast date of Nov 16, 1960. It was one of the first batch of castings that were done with an incorrect casting number. The incorrect one was ground off and stamped with the correct number. The second batch of castings also had an error on two digits which were also ground off and restamped. The 3rd batch of castings finally got all 7 digits casted correctly.

I'm aware of the original design engineers for the W project. What was your father's name? Was he assigned to the project after it was developed in '58 or part of the original team?

Verne

His name was Ben Montanbeau. He was a backup driver for NASCAR in the 50s until he smashed a Sheriffs car in Joplin MO when he was drunk. GM hired him as an engineer and a professional driver. He would bring these cars home and street race on 96, Woodward and Telegraph. He would take me and friends on these joy and professional rides. George and Zoro were at our house working on cars. They were my dads drinking buddies. LOL. I had a great childhood during these times.

8460.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Verne L Frantz said:

Verne

The 65 09 400 were mostly installed in the lighter big cars. Very few found there way into a SS convertible.