Screw covers on pull handles

pal1955

I have one of 8 (i.e., 2 cars, one cover.) I just assumed they were near impossible to find, but I thought I'd ask. There is one on ebay. I need 3 for the car that runs, but am not soo anal (my wife may disagree) to pay a fortune for them. Are these available?

Guest Greg Ross

Have you tried a GM Dealer, they were still available some time ago. In what kind of shape are the little snap frames held in by the Pull Handle Screws? These are called "escrutsions" (sp) by the trade and were available as well. If I remember properly average about $2.50 to $3.00 each.

The "Used Parts" Sellers certainly should have them. wink.gif

Is actually two parts (need four each)

<pre>- grp 14.691 retainer 20588020

- grp 14.691 escutcheon 20587948

</pre>

GMPD is showing both available and about $30 for four of each with s&h

Is from 1993 parts book so might want to verify before ordering.

As far as I can tell, the "escrutsions" look okay. How could they go bad? All seem to have the ridge on the top and bottom. I assume these covers fall off a lot rather than break. Probably having a few extra on hand might be a good idea. Do you suppose new escrutsions would get them to hold on a little better?

Guest Greg Ross

I may have given you a "Bum Steer",

the retainer;

grp 14.691 retainer 20588020

is what you'll need if you have the caps ("escrutsions")

and they're Ok. Never hurts to have a spare though!

The retainer frame will have been damaged if the Door Pull has been removed with anything other then a Slim/ deep 10mm socket. Took me a while to find the correct socket for this removal. wink.gif

Generally the reason the "eschalon"(disregard spelling) falls off is the retainer is crack down by the screw. If damaged, the retainer spreads and the eschalons will not stay on. Both parts sell for around $3.50 retail.

The door pull handle <span style="font-weight: bold">escutcheon</span>, which list at your local GM dealer for $3.77, has a bid on the current eBay auction for over $9!!! Go eBay! laugh.giflaugh.gif

Don't know what happened to the prices, but I got extra escutcheons and retainers (GM 20487948 and GM 20588020) from Lambert Buick two years ago for 83 cents each. I just looked at the invoice to double check. And wear and age don't have much to do with those--they were popping off regularly when the car was new.

CharlieVertMan, the 1990 Reatta uses the same door strap retainers and escutcheons as the 1988 and 1989 models. It's the 1991 that may be different.

The one only escutcheon on eBay did sell for $20.50 plus $2 for shipping. Such a deal! laugh.giflaugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my escutcheons from gmpartsdirect. Got a bunch of extras and am tempted to sell them on eBay. Would you all think that was unethical? What if I told everyone with questions where I got them so only the idiots buy 'em? The last one sold for $20.50! shocked.gif If I sell 4, they will pay for my coil pack! grin.gif Oh the guilt, taking advantage of the meek! Must be my catholic upbringing!