Heater Core Replacement - 65 RIV 401

dbaker9323

19 hours ago, joelj said:

The console can be moved back a few inches without disconnecting the heater control.

I spent 3 winters assembling the stripped interior and stripped dashboard (my Riv is a survivor). The console was a big PITA and don't ever recommend removing it. Maybe because the console I installed was not original to the car. Replacing rear carpet can be accomplished by loosening and raising the rear of the console slightly.

The '63 has HVAC Lever assembly under the dashpad directly against the heater core housing. Major surgery.

I will work from the engine side of the firewall and re-core, thank-you!

3 hours ago, XframeFX said:

I spent 3 winters assembling the stripped interior and stripped dashboard (my Riv is a survivor). The console was a big PITA and don't ever recommend removing it. Maybe because the console I installed was not original to the car. Replacing rear carpet can be accomplished by loosening and raising the rear of the console slightly.

The '63 has HVAC Lever assembly under the dashpad directly against the heater core housing. Major surgery.

I will work from the engine side of the firewall and re-core, thank-you!

I would have preferred to do the job from under the hood as well, but when I looked into it it seemed like I may have had to cut the firewall to get the original core out. Even then there is only about two inches between the outside part of the heater case and the distributor. Also, there is a fragile fiberglass duct between the steel parts of the heater case that you risk breaking in the process. All said this seemed like a bigger PITA than the console. I have no regrets. It took about 6 hours not counting pauses to think things through, clean parts etc. I think I spent about a week after work and finished on a Saturday. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Removing the heater core through the console was not an option for me.

My engine was out of the car and thought this would be a great time to have the heater core repaired. Removal and secure replacement required a bit of thinking, but not too much. Any way one gent thought I butchered the car by cutting the firewall.  The firewall was all healed when I finished and the heater core was securely fastened.

I have heat too.

Turbinator

• Like 1