63 Riviera In December Collectible Automobile & Surprise Sighting Of An Old Friend

Riviera63

I was in a book store today and saw the current issue of Collectible Automobile. I noticed that one of the featured articles was a spread on the cars of 1963. I was excited as I knew that there had to be a 1963 Riviera or two pictured in there somewhere. There was and I purchased it on the spot for that reason. For those of you not familiar with it, Collectible Automobile is a fabulous magazine. It is expensive but, a quality publication. The article on the 63's of all manufacturers was very in depth with many pictures. As I paged through it I had a pleasant surprise. At the bottom of the table of contents page (page 2) and at the top of page 61 in the 63 models article were pictures of my 1963 Pontiac Tempest Custom Convertible. One of only 5012 produced in 1963. Collectible Automobile had done a feature on the 1961-1963 Pontiac Tempest in their December 2002 issue. They photographed my car and it was one of the cars featured in that article. Like the Riviera the 61-63 Pontiac Tempests were also an innovative design with a rear transaxle, independent rear suspension, a solid woven steel drive shaft, a 4-cylinder engine (1/2 of the Pontiac 389). It also had ties to Buick as the V-8 option for 1961-1962 model years was the Buick aluminum 215. I sold that car back in 2003. It was a great car and I sometimes still miss it. It was nice to see some of those old photos resurrected. Good memories.

Bill

IMG_3115.JPG

1963 Riviera.jpg

IMG_3116.JPG

IMG_3114.JPG

IMG_3113.JPG

• Like 3