Extra remote oil filter systems

89RedDarkGrey

Has anyone here tried THIS SYSTEM or a SIMILAR SYSTEM on their car or truck?

I'd like to hear your thoughts of this application. They appear to be pretty simple to install, and both websites have .pdf instructions that are very concise. They are both pricey- and can probably be made DIY.

System #1 instructions     System #2 instructions

Thanks everyone :)

I am somewhat unclear on the purpose? I have an oil cooler on my '90 and it uses an adapter sandwiched between the filter and the mount on the engine. This could just as easily be to a remote filter but the one thing I do not like about it is; it locates the stock filter lower and even the short stock filter is partially below the crossmember. A typical application would be an adapter to a remote dual filter setup, which eliminates the low hanging filter and adds capacity if desired. 

3 hours ago, 2seater said:

I am somewhat unclear on the purpose? I have an oil cooler on my '90 and it uses an adapter sandwiched between the filter and the mount on the engine. This could just as easily be to a remote filter but the one thing I do not like about it is; it locates the stock filter lower and even the short stock filter is partially below the crossmember. A typical application would be an adapter to a remote dual filter setup, which eliminates the low hanging filter and adds capacity if desired. 

No- sort of.

The "universal kit" is what we would use, and add a T fitting where the pressure sensor goes, then either the return via the front valve cover oil cap- or (my preferred) to the oil pan. No worries of long filters. This concept isn't only about added capacity- it's more focused on extra filtration.

Maybe these videos can explain the workings and benefits better than I...

VIDEO #1

VIDEO #2

Bypass filters are not full flow filters..........probably used because the sellers claim they filter much smaller particles....so the filter is more restrictive and would not pass enough oil for a full flow.

My 1939 Buick has a Bypass filter.

If you think you need or want more filter capacity, attached is a picture of a oil filter adaptor taken from a 3800 V6 Impala police car.......note it has ports for remote cooler/filter and I think there are optional

ports (those round black things) so you have options to attach the fittings.

I added a simple sketch showing the adaptor, extra filter and engine oil cooler.

remote coolerfilter.jpg

DSCN2046.JPG

• Like 1

DSCN2046_thumb_JPG_2d61aa5eafd0c05d71ce0b9c6c60d85f.thumb.jpg.67857fe800800ef428e7bd735cb75390.jpg   

4 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

attached is a picture of a oil filter adaptor taken from a 3800 V6 Impala police car

I scoured RockAuto, what year Impala? RA doesn't sell that part anyway- so where can I get this? (no yards near me would have).

This kit is the one that is available for a 2000 Impala, 3.8L v6.

I do, however- like that angled filter adapter, and being able to use a long filter.

Living where I do- you wouldn't want or need a remote cooler on a daily driver car.

Too bad we can't just get a simple adapter like THIS for our 3.8L.

I am looking in the shop for the adaptor to see if there is a part number....I did some online checking and GM made a "sandwitch" adaptor similar to the Hayden part and it looks like the part number was 89023405 and/or 19129788

I think the sandwitch adaptor part might cause a realestate problem.  There is not a lot of room and they would push the oil filter at least 1 1/2 inches closer to the pavement.

Will continue to look online to see if I can find a GM part number......but they will be expensive, Pick n pull is best source.   Look for 2000 and newer Impala with "certified" speedometers

Some other 3800 equipped cars might have the adaptor....look on any 3800 supercharged engine, the Pontiac grand prix GTX might have them.  I cannot tell you what years because it appears GM did different years with different adaptors.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1