Correct Tire Size

kclark

I used 475/500-19 blackwall tires from Universal tire. According to the classic car database the 1929 had a 20" rim though this is probably means 28/29. The 29/30 says 5.5x19. I went with a smaller tire to shave some $ off of the total and it is really not much smaller. 

Your lengthened vehicle is probably a bit heavier than Ken's so maybe bigger tires would be appropriate.

The bigger (6.5x19) tires will have a larger circumference than 5.5x19, meaning the car is geared up. You will be able to drive a little faster but have to change down sooner on the hills. The rims are probably pretty narrow so the 6.5s will be working them pretty hard. It might be worth while finding out if the diff. ratio is standard, it being a funeral car and all.

My experience is with a 1930 Dodge Brothers 8. I have replaced old, rock hard, worn 6.00x18 with 5.50x18 Lesters. The 6" tires gave me 13.5 mpg (UK) and the odometer read about 7% low. The 5.5s give 10.5 mpg (but only a short test) and the odo hasn't been tested yet. The small difference in gearing is amazing, but invites lead-footedness coz it is such fun! (this probably accounts for a fair bit of the poorer economy  :lol: .)

I also notice the Lesters are running very close to their rating, both in pressure and load. The car, two up with luggage, weighs about 1700+ kg (I noted the weight on the Cook Straight ferry scales one time) and the tires run at 40 psi. Next time I will be a bit more careful when choosing tires and probably go back to 600s.

I agree Spinneyhill, his should be a heavier built car. After all he has a differential brake that I do not have. The spare on mine when I got it was a 6.00-6.50 x 19 Heavy. It was probably for a heavier car or truck but it looks quite a bit bigger than the rest of my tires. This is what I went with and replaced the tubes and flaps. The next size up adds $65 a tire. Also if you are thinking about white wall tires remember that they weren't used on higher end cars before the 1930s. The early white walls were cheaper because the manufacturer didn't have to add carbon to the sidewall but they scuffed easier and were harder to keep clean. 

Looking back at the pictures of your tires are they weather cracked, or seem like hard rubber? Mine were shot, that is why I had to replace but if yours seem fine I would run on them. Yours are 8 ply mine were only 4 ply. Tires like you have now will set you back over $200 each. 

image.thumb.png.ca81937efc494ef28440b156d162f127.png

image.thumb.png.8dd849039700080504d89b5a6311db68.png

51 minutes ago, starlightcoupe said:

I thought '29 Dictators sported 5.50x20.

What my GL (29/30) Dictator shows in the Classic Car Database is 5.50x19. The 29 GE Dictator says 5.50x19 while the 28 GE Dictator says 5.50x20. I went with a cheaper tire because there was only a 1/4" tread width difference. Not worth paying out the extra cash, I think the smaller tire is cheaper because it is used on Model A's thus they will sell a lot more of these. Perhaps before he spends the extra dough on less than a 1/2" more tread width he should weigh the car and see if it is more than 3800 lbs. I kind of doubt that it is. 

http://classiccardatabase.com/prewar-models/car-models-S.php

Guest trap442w30

you guys are so lucky with your new-fangled automobiles, and your $99 tires....you probably even have heaters in those cars.:) (34x4 tires on mine):(

6 hours ago, trap442w30 said:

you guys are so lucky with your new-fangled automobiles, and your $99 tires....you probably even have heaters in those cars.:) (34x4 tires on mine):(

Heater? Yep, holes in the floor behind the exhaust manifold. And a blanket. :lol:

Being RHD with exhaust manifold on the right, the holes are just the pedal and steering column holes.

$99 tires? Never. I wish. My last lot were $200 15 years ago (a fellow brought in a container full for his mates and their mates) and they are c. $400 now if I buy them from a dealer here.

On the Canadian Prairies, with their Ford Model T my Grandparents used to put a very large rock in the cook stove oven for about a week before going on a long (125+ mile) trip in the middle of winter.  Took it out and put it on the back seat floor.  That and several horse blankets.  Must have been real cozy.