power brake issue 55 century

Ove

hi guys. I need your help . started up my Century yesterday (been renovating almost a year)., and noticed a problem with the brakes . with motor running the pedal stays down with brake pressure after I´ve taken the foot of.Then sloooowly comes back up,takes at least 30sec. It always worked perfectly before.

thanks  Ove

3 hours ago, Ove said:

Bildresultat för 1955 buick brake boot

If you didn't stick that felt washer at the end so the boot doesn't cut circulation off when coming back up, that's your issue. The felt washer is to keep the boot from getting stuck over the top. Read through Part 5 (Release Stage) in the shop manual under Power Brakes. When your foot comes off the pedal, the vacuum chamber is vented to atmosphere to release pressure by releasing a check ball in the vacuum side and venting out the stem around the push rod.There will be momentary vacuum here, this is what pulls the boot in around the push rod. The boot keeps it from venting to atmosphere. The original boot was fairly large and was not a problem because it didn't taper, so it allowed the vacuum to vent through to the air cleaner cover. These new aftermarket ones are garbage, I just cut an 1/8" hole in mine. The only issue with a vented boot is that it makes a hiss when you release, versus the original boot that was completely sealed (it would still hiss, but you wouldn't hear it because it would vent at the air cleaner on the other side of the fire wall). Why the suppliers don't make a correct boot is beyond me.

• Like 1