47 Continental steering column

dl456

I am having trouble getting my steering column tight to the bottom of the dash.

In the parts book, they list a spacer # 3682 and it appears to go between the column and the 

dash. I don't recall seeing this part and certainly don't have one now. Anybody have a description of this part or

a picture? 

the manual doesn't say if it is  rubber or steel.

Thanks,

Dennis 

Thanks for the reply. I can't really post a picture under the dash . My column looks just like the picture you provided.

It attaches to the dash with two 5/16-24 bolts into the cast bracket on the steering column (lock).

The bolts ( 2 different lengths) bottom out before getting tight to the dash.

Then I noticed part 3682 in the chassis manual listed as a spacer. I don't recall ever seeing this part

and honestly don't know if it was steel, cast or a rubber isolater. The manual makes It look as if it would go in the area

between the cast column bracket and the dash 

Thanks again,

Dennis

I am not sure about the Continental, but on my 40 Mercury and other year Fords and Mercurys, the shim is rubber. I had to make the one for my 40 Mercury by using the mounting bracket as a template and cutting it out of 1/8" thick rubber. I got the rubber from Metro Moulded rubber in Minnesota. Here is a link to the one used on the Ford and Mercury cars. Seeing a drawing may help with making yours.

https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.aspx?Item=11A-3682

Dennis,

I'am restoring a '48 LC Coupe and today  while out in the garage, I checked out this 5EH-3682-B  in m,y car. There is a difference 

in my car and the parts book.  The cast bracket you mentioned is 1 pc. and split for the steering shaft column .I found the 2 bolts,

1 was crossed threaded  and 1 was missing the lock washer. A previous owner was messing with this. The rubber shim( perhaps

3/16-"1/4 "   was crushed from age. I will replace this next week. I have heavy ,high quality rubber stock that I can cut out. Would 

you want 1 or 2 ?   I'll cut and punch holes-- $3 bucks postage paid. I have to make one for my car anyway- Glad to help

Larry Butcher# 86 ,224 Clubside Dr. Taneytown Md  21987

Thanks Larry,

I'll try two while your cutting. Check is in the mail.

By the way, the cardboard templates you provided for the vacuum tank straps 

were very helpful and the service bulletins have already helped others as well.

Thanks again,

Dennis