Identify 1908 Automobile - Wichita, KS

Guest mikemaxton

Guest mikemaxton

Hello,

A local Wichita history group is trying to identify the men in this real photo postcard, from 1908. I thought it might prove useful if I could get some help in identifying the automobile in the photo. The car is on a road across from a boat house, in Riverside Park, Wichita, Kansas.  It seemed that this forum would have some experts who might help identify the vehicle.  Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

mike maxton

1908 car five men at riverside park wichita.jpg

Even though the white car in the pic above looks the same the original photo is date March 1908.  The Standard Catalog says Franklin did three similar models in both 1907 and 1908; Model G 16hp/90"wb,  Model D 20hp/106" wb, Model H 6 cyl 30hp.127"wb.  For 1908 the wheelbases were the same but the two larger models were more powerful. From looking at this car I reckon it is the 105" wheelbase Model D.  For 1909/1910 the Model D seems to have gained one more inch of wheelbase.

Guest mikemaxton

Thanks for the feedback. Based on the input from three of you that it was a Franklin, I pulled up a few ads from 1908 for Wichita, Kansas,  with a dealer selling Franklins. 

The two owners of the Wilson Automobile Company were Henry A. Wilson and Scott E. Winne.  Winne was trouble, had his hands in a number of businesses, buildings and investments. He went bankrupt in 1909, skipped town, and never really found. The bankruptcy and bad publicity sunk the Wilson Automobile Company. By 1909, Franklins were being sold by the Franklin Motor Car Company.

The identification of this car as a Franklin was a bit of the puzzle and perhaps being able to identify who the five guys were, riding in the automobile that day in March 1908.

mike

1908 ad for franklin motor car company on emporia.jpg

1908 franklin six sketch.JPG

1908 franklin six automobile from wilson at 118 s lawrence.jpg

1908 franklin automobile new models.JPG