23 Model R throw-out bearing rattle

lump

I got my Hupp running for the first time this year last weekend, getting it ready to transport to the uphosltery shop which is going to replace the original leather interior. Upon driving it around the block I was reminded of a problem which had cropped up last year. There is a distinct and bothersome rattle underneath, which is apparently coming from the throw-out bearing. When I first noticed this problem, I crawled underneath the car expecting to find a brake rod rattling against the frame or something. But It silences immediately whenever I depress the clutch pedal, and with the inspection shield removed from below the bellhousing, the sound does indeed seem to coming from the the clutch assembly. Other than this rattle, the clutch assembly is working fine. 

I searched the AACA forums for "throw-out bearing rattle" and did find one post which referred to an "anti-rattle spring." Would my Model R have had such a thing originally? If so, perhaps it has broken and fallen off. 

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. 

Thanks for the reply, Hupp36. I'll check things out, and see if this info will help. 

My rattle happens only when the clutch is NOT depressed. But I have never greased the throw-out bearing (I'm used to modern sealed bearings, I guess). I don't know whether  my Model R-12 Hupp even uses  anti-rattle springs on the throw-out bearing, but I will look to see if I can see a broken or missing spring on the assembly. I am hoping I won't have to tear it all down. 

Thanks again! 

• 1 year later...

Ok, got the Hupp back from the upholsterer, and finally running again. I'm adding this post to help remind me to get back to this issue. My clutch works fine, and has no unwanted noise whenever I put even light pressure on the clutch pedal. But when the clutch is fully engaged and my foot is not on the pedal, that rattle returns. I guess I'll need to find an exploded view with part names included, so I can start seeking the parts which must be to blame for my problem. 

By chance, do you have even the remnants of an oiler tube leading to the throwout bearing?  Some cars have an oiler with a spring cap near the shifter tower.  Perhaps check under the floorboard for any indication that there was once an oiling tube entering the bell housing. 

After it  stopped  raining  I  went  put  to  check  a  parts  car.  Your  Hupp  model  R  has  a place to  grease the  through out  bearing. its  a pipe  with  a  grease  fitting just  in  back of the  bell  housing on the passenger  side of the  transmission..   Another  point is  that the  clutch  has  a  multi disc  clutch,  4  plates. With  so  many  disc,  they  could  rattle. Hope  this  helps.

Hey, great info. Thank you to both of you guys! 

Right this minute I am producing my fall swap meet (CARS & PARTS SWAP MEET & CAR SHOW, Spfld, OH). I drove the Hupp in and out of my enclosed trailer, hauling it up to the fairgrounds. It was SO good to hear it fire right up again, and drive itself with no problems. (

The Amish craftsman who did such a beautiful job replacing the original leather upholstery is going to be there on Saturday to show my "before" upholstery along with the finished interior in my car. He was kind enough to store it for me over the winter months (when I had a shortage of space), so I offered to give him a free vendor space and to use my car as a prop. I hope it will work well for him. 

Hupp Upholstery worn out Lo Rez.jpg

IMG_20171021_134330.jpg

• Like 1