1935 Plymouth 2 door Rumbleseat Convertible FOR SALE

Douglas G. Brown

1935 Plymouth 2 door Rumbleseat Convertible FOR SALE.

Mileage: 99,999
Transmission: Manual
Condition: Project
Exterior: black
Interior: black

Seller's Description

I bought this car in the spring 2017 for a friend of mine who planned to make a street rod, but he died unexpectedly soon after. I have a couple of antique cars already to keep me busy for a few years, so I am selling it.

1935 Plymouth 2 door Rumbleseat Convertible FOR SALE.

It is one of only 2308 convertibles made, out of a total production of 327,448 1935 Plymouth cars made 

(compare this to the 21,896 Ford 2 door convertibles made in 1935).

It is an Oklahoma car, and about 80 percent complete. The frame has been refinished, and the body remounted in it with new bolts. Some of the front end components have been refinished.

The body is rusted out in the rockers, roll pan, and bottom 4 inches of the rear quarters. Replacement inner rockers repair panels have been welded in place. The floor is solid, and rest of body is pretty good. There are old repairs on the front fenders, and there is some small rust out on the top center of the right hand door. The doors and the rear deck lid open and close well.

High quality replacement parts for the inner and outer rocker panels, as well as the rear roll pan, are available from theplymouthdoctor.com at a reasonable price.

The bumpers on this are are not 1935 Plymouth originals. Thre is no glass, interior, or top bows, but the side window frames are included The engine is stuck. The rear end on car is from a Chevy Nova. The steering column is not connected.

Set of 5 nice 1935 Plymouth wheels are also included.

This would be a good restoration or rod project for the dedicated Mopar fan. If you want to restore it , you should pick up a solid 1935 Plymouth sedan parts car for the many small parts that are missing or damaged on this car.

If you want to rod it, build it to suit your taste.

Either way, you will be undertaking a major project; but if you don't want to do this, find a restored or an already street rodded 1935 Plymouth and pay the going price for it.

But, if you want enjoy restoring or rodding one of the few remaining unrestored 1935 Plymout convertibles out there, this might be the project car for you.

Asking $11,500;      price is somewhat negotiable.

Car is garaged at my camp in Freedom, Maine, which is 12 miles down the road from my home in Belfast. I'll help load it on your truck or trailer.

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0223.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

Edited by Douglas G. Brown
Bump, lowered price (see edit history)

The seats shown are from a middle 1980's Jaguar sedan. The 1935 - 1939 Plymouth convertibles had an extra X frame attached to the floorpan, and bolted to the regular x frame. Thus, the factory seats on them were lower than those in the closed cars. These Jaguar seats fit pretty well, but are in poor shape, but it is not hard to find ones in much better shape from an old Jag..

Any way, Jag sedan seats would make a good quick and dirty option for a rodder, as there are plenty of them out there in good shape, and they are low enough to compensate for the raised floors of the mid 30's Mopar convertibles

Edited by Douglas G. Brown (see edit history)

23 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

For a car that seems pretty rot free other than the usual Tail pan rust. (they were designed to rust there from the factory)  the top of the Passenger side door is baffling.  Any idea what might have caused that? 

Good Observation!  ...  It is a mystery to me, too. I have gotten about a dozen doors off 1937 and 1938 Dodge and Plymouth 4 door sedans ( I have a couple of 1937 Dodge Convertible sedans) in the Maine woods, and seen a dozen or more, that I did not remove the doors from.

Here, we get about 40 inches of rain a year: the hinges always rust off the 1930's Mopar  doors, but the thinner sheet metal of the  doors holds up pretty well (the sheet metal holds up better on cars in the woods, than ones in fields, by the way) My theory is the hinge steel is more galvanically active then the sheet metal steel, so the hinges rot first.  Some of these cars were on all fours, and some were upside down, but I've never seen a single one of these doors rusted at the top like the passenger side door of this 35 Plymouth convertible.

I don't think there is a lot of deep woods in Oklahoma, and not much rain or snow either. So, the cars last longer out there. Maybe there was some endangered Oklahoma tin eating wasp that built a nest inside this 1935 Plymouth door.

By the way, a feller I know made a street rod out of a 1920's Auburn coupe or roadster body he found in the woods. I'll try to get a picture for you, if you'd like to see it.

• Like 1