Finally put the Hudson into service!

auburnseeker

That's why I figured to just do it myself.  Seems like around  here when you mention anything prior to 1980,  sometimes newer, you can see the uneasy look and the trail of excuses.  Along with drop it off we'll get around to it.  I don't leave my cars at shops unless they are being worked on.   I've watched some nice cars sit at the shop across from where i used to live,  especially old ones,  with the window or top down in a rain storm because they had to put it out to work on something else in that bay.

I'll get the parts and tools ordered shortly and maybe give it a shot the end of the week.   I'll pick a couple rainy days,  so I won't miss any good driving days. 

Looks good.  I wish I could have that done around here. 

Does anyone know of a muffler that sounds good on a hudson with maybe just a little rumble to it?  Somewhat subtle but not quite a factory piece. 

I also looked at that splitter for Dual exhaust but couldn't find a place to buy one.  I wouldn't be against dual exhaust but would run them down the truck and out the same side. 

Just ordered the bender and expanders.  I guess if I get the one pipe in and It all works out,  I can always get the parts and split the manifold then just modify the front pipe to fit and bend a matching pipe/pipes,  if I decide to go to duals later.  First order of business is to get the exhaust away from the chassis that it is wedged against.  You can barely pull it away. 

The engine needs a serious detail after a battery blew up under the hood before I got it,  so that would be a good time to split the manifold as I will then pull everything apart for blasting and painting.  It will also give me some time to find the parts. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

The second type Harbor freight benders don't work on aluminized 2 inch tube.  Even after performing the mods to the die as shown on you tube.  It is really a pipe not tube bender and could make a few slight angels but a real bend it crimps the pipe alot. 

I'm thinking of stepping up to the plate and buying a better tubing bender.  It's more than the pipe bender at 100 versus atleast 500-700 but probably a wise choice.  The expanders also mentioned in some of the videos for 20 something dollars also work poorly and are probably only for straightening out messed up pipes.  Not actually expanding to accept another pipe. 

I figured I would share so others don't make the same mistake on junky tools.  I have always hated junky tools that don't do the job.   I should have known better and saved my money. 

I usually do.  I like quality tools as I said and only figured for 100.00 I would give it a try.  Well lesson learned.  I just bought the woodward fab tubing bender with stand and die set.  I think it was under 500 for everything shipped as ebay had a special 15 percent back ebay bucks thing.  I found a used vintage one,  but the seller wouldn't answer me as to what size dies it had and being an old bender, There may have been no way to get dies for it if it didn't come with a 2 inch one.  

I should have it beginning of next week.  I'll post how it works, or doesn't. 

That thing I bought was probably fine for bending pipe which is heavier walled and not so apt to kink but not tubing.  They shouldn't sell it as a tubing bender.   

I actually bought it off ebay.  But it was basically the same thing harbor freight sold that's why I called it a harbor freight bender.   

Wish me luck.  now i have to see if my friend has a real exhaust expander i can borrow or have him expand the pipes once I get them bent. 

I'm prepared for some degree of failure to start.  Best way to learn is to just do it when no one is around to show you how to.  

I've found though that once you need a tool,  there is a good chance you will need it again.  I can't tell you the amount of woodworking shop tools I have along with regular carpentry tools.  I'm self employed so there is also some nice benefit in buying tools besides their functionality.  

In a past job I worked for a guy that had me borrow even the simplest tools from other people.  I really disliked that and vowed to not run my business that way.