Trying to decide

padgett

Am reducing the herd to something more manageable but cannot decide whether to sell the Crossfire or the 90 'vert. Am curious what  a realistic (sell in a month or two) price for a '90 vert in nice presentable condition (drive anywhere) but some incorrectness (blue Haartz top, added 16 ways, code 10 respray, Bluetooth head unit, 16x7 GM factory crosslaced wheels with Michelins. Cold 134A. Nice cruiser but not an AACA show car (in sig).

Sorry Reatta has 108k miles, Crossfire 132k. Crossfire is an '07, has a manual transmission, and has been modified for a driver over 5'7". Click on .sig for more information. Have not really advertised since have not decided which to sell.

I wouldn't be concerned about the incorrectness of the Reatta. The market doesn't value it as a collectible (only this forum does and most likely, your buyer isn't here). Use CL and eBay as a guide what your asking price should be and calculate @ 10% less for your selling price. Ignore Hemmings and AutoTrader.

The Crossfire is a keeper.  The Chrysler/Mercedes 'partnership' for this car helps with its value. And that it's a stick in a world where sticks are disappearing only helps its cause.

Agree, bought both as drivers and learning platforms. Suppose am somewhat fanatical about maintenance and both are on Mobil 1 and have (incorrect) AGM batteries. Both have been garaged. Just makes no sense for me to have this many cars.

I would base my decision on parts availability for any possible future repairs. Seems to me that I have seen your name associated quite a bit with Reatta. You probably have a stockpile of Reatta parts. LOL. I don't know about the Crossfire but I know in my situation based against getting parts for my 1955 Thunderbird the Reatta  is not the "keeper"

Edited by fordrodsteven (see edit history)

10 hours ago, Imperial62 said:

Reattas are collected by many folks.  Not everything has to increase by more than inflation to be collected. 

The Crossfire appears to be in the same dilemma as the Reatta. In that prices are fairly low for a very nice driving "sports" car.   I personally like the Crossfire styling much much better than the equivalent Mercedes CLK's.   They had a goofy bulbous style to them that did not wear well, and they want more. 

Once I went "oh yea the Crossfire" in my search for a couple of fun cars, I searched in Des Moines, Minneapolis, Chicago and Texas where I have a sister that lives and can do a fly in drive home.  I was surprised at the reasonable prices but as we have noted on Reattas, when they fall to 3rd or 4th owners, especially when youthful, the maintenance falls. 

Reattas being collected, yes. As a collectible (as in maintaining or appreciating in value)? Not yet (even as many predicted it would once it hit the 25 year mark). :( 

Crossfire is in better shape as a collectible than the Reatta for reasons mentioned earlier yet its 1/2 its age. There were also 3x as many Crossfires produced as Reattas so parts will be plentiful for many years (shared most parts with the MB SLK).

Not bashing on the Reatta but if someone was to ask me which of the two is the better value, today it would have to be the Crossfire.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have never owned a Crossfire and they are a good looking car but I know 2 people who have owned them and both have told me they are a nightmare to keep running. one is my next door neighbor. His daughter purchased a Crossfire after he advised her not to. Now it just sits not running  He is not a mechanic and  when he asked me why it wouldn't run I didn't have any advise  I have not looked at the car but I did offer the following advise  I told him to find a salvage yard and buy my Reatta. Hind site is still 20/20 here in Kansas