1928 window regulator

dracenroc

Finally I dismantled the window regulator. It looks not too bad inside and actually works. Lifting the glass didn't work because the glass was not fixed to the rail attached to the regulator.

Can anyone tell me how the glass is fixed to the rail. Just jammed or glued in? Or is there another mechanism  holding the glass in place?

Furthermore I'm still missing the regulator handle. On the RH door attached is a handle which I guess could be the regulator handle. 

IMG_2573.thumb.JPG.344686cbb6e9a34f0274586732bf102e.JPGIMG_2574.thumb.JPG.a129e3e0d86ea58d9e527426e14e41db.JPGIMG_2576.thumb.JPG.e49c75d8a50e7f417931de3465f33df3.JPGIMG_2578.thumb.JPG.e76d5ccdd8016b92001895e97bbbad30.JPG  

Do you have the remainder of the frame?  There are a couple of side channels as well the upper header rail.  To attach to that rail you will need to purchase some glass mounting tape and fold it over the top of the glass, and pressing that into the top rail.  The tape comes in several degrees of thickness.  I had to purchase 3 different rolls of the tape before I found the correct size for my 1930 Model 68.  From the photograph it would appear the old tape is still present in the top rail.  You will need to remove this as it cannot be re-used.  There should be a stud sticking out the front side of your regulator assembly where you can attach the handle.  Bob's Automobilia sells a replacement handle if yours is missing.

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks michaelod! I have all the channels and the upper header rail. I removed the old tape, put it over the glass and drove the upper header rail into it. The tension is strong enough to hold the glass in place (taped it on) and it works so far. When the glass is falling out of the upper header rail again I will try a new glass mounting tape. Most probably the window regulation had never been installed back correctly.

I checked out Bob's Automobile already but as the other three door handles are a different model I guess the handle on the right front door is actually the regulator handle. In that case I prefer to purchase rather a door window handle and use the one in the picture as a regulator handle.

One more thing that i should mention.  If you are planning on reusing the original windshield, I would highly advise against it.  The original is plate glass and extremely dangerous.  If you are in an accident with this there is a strong possibility of severe injury or death.  There are replacement glass windshields easily obtainable which are made of modern safety glass and inexpensive.  I replaced all the glass in my car with safety glass and you would never know by looking at it.

Thanks for your advise. Actually a good idea and if I would restore the whole car I would do that. I guess its still the original glass all around showing no signs of safety-glass. But as the car must have been restored a few decades ago and its still in good shape I will just do a few minor repairs and make everything working again.

• 3 weeks later...

The point about changing the windshield to safety glass is very important.  You should do it even if you are not restoring the car unless of course you are going to put it in a museum.

Why risk your or some one you loves life with a dagger of plate glass for a few bucks.  What if at 20 mph on a residential street a kid runs out in front of you.  You jam on the brakes and your passenger goes into the windshield.    Those glass daggers are not all going to fall outside of the car.    

On top of that the glass shop has the right tape to fix the glass in the steel bar on top of the glass.     I think you can get the rubber moulding from Bob's .      The owners manual (Reference Book) tells how to remove the windshield.  It is  in the back of the book.  

Speaking of brakes, if you follow the instructions for adjusting the brakes EXACTLY as shown in the owners Reference book or shop manual, the car will stop and quickly.

Fred Rawling,

Bellflower, ca