64 Riv Heater Core

coOverwatch

So the build continues on the 64 Riviera.

been working on the body and decided to jump into cleaning out the heater/AC stuff.

when I pulled the Blower motor and heater cover I found another source of water leaking into the interior. took the next two days to pull everything out just to get at the Heater Core. Good thing the windshield was out or this would have been real fun.

seems the engine block was not the only thing that froze.

Does anyone make a replacement heater core?????

HeaterCore1.jpg.b738ec63e0c7619e059d8f63298da2f9.jpg

HeaterCore2.jpg.960c18b3156bf38b04f17baec19d547a.jpg

HeaterCore3.jpg.953ed51ebe2845878f661c1e4fc016ad.jpg

I have a parts car that I can see if that Core is any better. Problem for me is the car was in the Flood a few years ago and is filled with this layer of fine silt.

The replacement cores that people sell don't fit properly. The consensus on the forum

has been that the best approach is to send out your old core to be re-cored. With a re-core, the old tanks are

reused and a new core is soldered to them.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

The bulge is in the core.....that part would be completely replaced. A lot of radiator shops offer recoring of heater

cores. I would call around and see if you can get it done locally. If not, there are people who advertise in Hemmings Motor News who offer this service.

If you convert it to R134 A you would need to flush out all the components and add oil for R134A

to the system. The old oil for R12 will not work with R134A. You would also need to install new service ports for R134A.

I am not sure if your suction throttling valve will work correctly with R134A refrigerant. Perhaps someone else can chime in on this.

I can tell you for sure that your system will cool better with the old R12 refrigerant if you are using the old fashioned condensor that came

in your car. Your old condensor does not have enough tubes to work real well with R134A. My car had been converted when I bought it

and I converted it back to R12 and it cools a lot better now. My car had a suction throttling valve eliminator kit installed on it when I bought it

and it still has it. My car now has a cycling clutch setup on it with no suction throttling valve.

it is all stock as far as I know. I will need the Condenser (part that sits behind the radiator) as it is corroded.

the system has been exposed for the last year. lines disassembled from the compressor for engine removal.

do they still make the R12 refrigerant? someone told me that is no longer available, however I have not checked. 

It is out there still but it is very expensive. I bought a 30 pounder a couple of years ago from a friend who didn't

need it any more for 250.00 which was a steal. Best source is try to find a fellow hobbyist looking to get rid of a 30 pounder. If

you buy it online you have to have an  ASE A/C certification. People online are asking  50-75.00 a can for the R12.

Or you can do what I and others have done which it convert to Vintage Air. They make all the parts to make the Riviera cold enough to hang meat in it. And I live in Texas. 

Check out Don's thread that I added on to below.  I tried to fix my A/C and spent lots more then if I would have just gone with Vintage Air in the first place.

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)