37 Buick Special Front Fender Light Assembly

DanGo

I had a lens fall out. Removed the other to find a very heavy (thick) cone shaped lens that doesn’t fit very well (see pieces broken out). Ordered two new ones. Same shape, thinner glass. Don’t seem to fit into the holder; Appears to be blocked by a spring wire?   The Assembly has a G57 ID stamped underneath. No reference in owner’s manual on even changing the bulb.  Removed from fender and removed top screw. Can’t figure out what is holding the three part assembly together, but need to open it up to potentially move the spring wire hugging the front. Any ideas on how to open this assembly up?

2017-0377-BuickFEnderLightAssembly.jpg

2017-0375-BuickLightlensesBottom.jpg

2017-0372-BuickLightFront.jpg

I thought I could find where I have explained this before but after a couple of minutes searching, I can't find it. It is simple. Take the screw out of the top of the parking light assembly. Grasp the front of the top of the metal portion top half of the parking light just behind the lens. Slightly lift up the top half of the parking light assembly and then shift it toward the front of the car to slide it over the lens and remove it from the car. Once you have it opened up, it should be fairly clear. You remove an angle shaped piece of metal that holds the spring in place. Be careful not to pinch your fingers with the heavy spring. Once you have the tension off of the spring it is easy to replace the lens. The attached photo shows what it looks like opened up.

IMG_20170611_184324840.jpg

I completely disassembled my fender lamps so I can have the trim piece re-chromed for the restoration.  But here are a few photos that may help you:

DSC_0875.thumb.JPG.6c40f561ca4d73fbbbc0673de416155d.JPG

Remove the top screw.  With your thumb, press down on back while "sliding" your thumb forward.  That upper cover will come off.

DSC_0879.thumb.JPG.c7da2b02fec6b170b069c28fd26b0aae.JPG

With the top removed, you can see the retaining clip in the back and the angle of the locking mechanism.

DSC_0882.thumb.JPG.972bfac2226c3930f64f16582663006f.JPG

Here's the spring that keeps the lens tight.

DSC_0890.thumb.JPG.1a232c8dc909dfbae75f5b58ccce7c5c.JPG

Another view.  I took those small screws out to have the piece re-chromed.  You do not have to remove them for lens replacement.

DSC_0891.thumb.JPG.40439b0f9c0f4aa77daf9672f03aacdd.JPG

Push the ring forward to compress the spring, and lift the whole assembly out.  It takes the pressure off the lens.

.IMG_8164.thumb.JPG.e4ab00248c8f0323b8770e72c529e596.JPG

Then re-install!

Hope it helps!

Edited by Gary W (see edit history)

Thank you very much for a more than adequate response.  With this level of detail and help available, I may try more complicated maintenance and repairs. Have you done this level of documentation on all the components in your rebuild, and is it posted somewhere? I'll definitely join the club. Thanks again. 

I've documented every step, mostly so I know how to reassemble each part when the time comes.  But I can forward what I have if you need it.

Click the restoration thread at the bottom:

Good Luck!

Gary W

NJ