Adjusting Parking Gear

beerczar1976

Now that brakes are back in working order, and my '50 runs pretty stable, I'd like to get the Parking Gear adjusted so Park actually holds. On a flat surface, I'm good, but on an incline, even slight incline, Park doesn't hold and car begins to roll. The Parking Brake is now adjusted that it actually holds pretty well. Anyone have luck in getting the adjustments done? My Park Pawl gives the Shop Manual described "ratcheting" sound as it rolls backwards off the ramp or incline. Process to adjust doesn't sound too bad, but curious if anyone's actually done it and if it worked without tearing into the Dynaflow itself. Basic process involves detaching clevis pin and adjusting linkage. Thoughts?

Guest biodegraded

I'm interested in this topic as well as I have a similar issue with my '53.  Does adjusting the park gear using the method mentioned affect any of the other drive or reverse gears?

Before making this adjustment it is advisable to make sure the transmission ( and motor mounts) are okay.  Barring a shift in the trans position for known or unknown reasons, the parking pawl should not need adjustment.  But adjusting the parking pawl should not affect any other gear.  And if you adjust it before checking the mounts, just remember to re adjust it after doing the mounts. The adjustment is external to the trans.

• Like 3