Dumb fabric top question

I am going to need a new top for my 29 Dictator Six Sedan. To prolong its life I have coated it with a rubberized coating because I do not want to replace until I am closer to paint time. I have searched the forum and found that vinyl seems to be the norm and even that since it needs a minimum of 64" width that tonneau cover material works. 

Now here is the dumb question. Looking at the top I already have, and I believe it is probably the original one. I had to patch a hole and it appears to be some type of cotton material coated with coal tar or such. Now would a canvas material like is used on boat tops be more appropriate than faux leather vinyl since pleather didn't even exist until 1936? Also could canvas even be stretched like vinyl? I certainly don't want to put on cloth and use coal tar or some such substance. 

I have lot's of time to think about this since my restoration has just begun, All input is appreciated.

It's probably not coal tar that coats your roof.  The original covering was a coated fabric, the forerunner of our modern day vinyl fabrics.  In the day, when this material started showing age, there was a "top dressing" available.  This was a paint-like substance that was brushed on the top fabric to reseal and make waterproof.

I would not use canvas.  One could theoretically use a Haartz cloth on an insert top, but it really wouldn't look correct. Yes, you're going to end up using a vinyl material, buy a good quality material from a reputable dealer, don't use the cheap stuff from a fabric store.  It needs to be put on warm and stretched very tightly, otherwise you're going to have a flapping roof.  I've seen this and even replaced a new roof that was flapping as the owner drove the car.

Also, the normal top insert has a chicken wire base, over that is a light fabric, next a thin cotton batting (don't use foam, it will disintegrate), then the top material.  I usually install top inserts on a nice sunny day, to get the material to stretch tightly.  Centerline the material, tack on middle front, stretch tight and tack on middle rear, then pull to the sides and tack middle sides.  Then, start working from the sides toward front and rear, making sure material is very tight.  At 60 miles per hour, there's quite a pull up on the material and it will flap if not tight.

Hope that helps some....

Check out Restoration Specialties in Windber, PA.  (Google it).  They carry what is called "Short grain sedan decking". This is the material that is probably the closest to the original on your carHere is a photo of it installed on my '35 sedan. 

Tom

image.jpeg

The 64 inches might be a challenge to find, as many toppings are 60 inches and some 54 inches.  It will stretch some, but whether it will stretch 2 inches on each side would have to be determined.  Check Lebaron Bonney.

Does the decking go all the way to a gutter rail, is that the reason for the extra width?

Thanks all. The extra width is because it turns down at the rear. We measured last night and that one spot is 64" I read in another post that it is challenging to find material this wide and another member said he uses tonneau cover material. 

I believe the material from Restoration Specialties IS 64" wide.

And, back in the day, it was normal to periodically reseal these surfaces exposed to the elements.

Edited by starlightcoupe (see edit history)
  • Like 1