1917 Studebaker driveshaft removal

Ltc4748

I am helping another hobbyist that removed the leather faced cone clutch from his Stude. To get the drive shaft out of the car he removed the 6 nuts that hold the hub assembly with the spring and thrust bearing to the cone clutch. This would be very difficult to put back together this way. Does anyone remember doing one of these if you must take the differential loose and move it back? About 3/4" is all that we need to get the shaft back in with the clutch assembly installed as a unit. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance

I never did one on a 18 light six I had.  If just 3/4, have you tried letting the rear end hang, with jackstands at the frame instead of under the axle?  No idea if that would help yours, but it does on some brands.

Attached is a photo of a Studebaker rear end which shows the rear universal with its cover/sleeve removed. lf you remove this cover you should be able to bolt up the front universal/hub and then slide the rear one sideways into its slot and replace the sleeve. Hopefully the sleeve is not too tight and it will come off without too much trouble.

IMG_20161109_172831.jpg

Edited by Stude17 (see edit history)
  • Like 1