A great video on our DIS ignition system

89RedDarkGrey

Did he ever post what he found the primary resistance to be on the new AC Delco Coils that he intended to install?  That would be good information to know.  I have a two channel picoscope buried somewhere that I purchased many years ago.  I had not even thought it in ages until he mentioned it and I saw it in action.  Of course he was using a 4 channel version.  A good scope can tell you a LOT of things you would never realize otherwise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drtidmore said:

Did he ever post what he found the primary resistance to be on the new AC Delco Coils that he intended to install?

You can ask him-  ericobrochta@hotmail.com

1 hour ago, drtidmore said:

I have a two channel picoscope buried somewhere that I purchased many years ago.  I had not even thought it in ages until he mentioned it and I saw it in action.  Of course he was using a 4 channel version.

He was using the new software-based version, which is a small box, cables, and you plug it into a PC (laptop). Yes- a very nice investment if you're going to use it on a regular basis. The diagnostic time saved- it pays for itself in a short time.

Pico Scope here

Just now, 89RedDarkGrey said:

You can ask him-  ericobrochta@hotmail.com

He was using the new software-based version, which is a small box, cables, and you plug it into a PC (laptop). Yes- a very nice investment if you're going to use it on a regular basis. The diagnostic time saved- it pays for itself in a short time.

Pico Scope here

That is what I purchased a good 10 years ago.  All the controls and the display (realtime and storage) is handled by software running on a PC as the box itself has NOTHING other than inputs and a USB connection.  As I said, mine is a 2 channel version as that was all that was available at the time.  This is not all that new a concept. 

I was actually interested in what he found on the primary side of the coils, but the secondary testing video you posted should also be done on a coil that is suspect.  I have emailed him so I will post should he respond as that info is really what the ICM is attempting to power. 

• Like 1

Eric responded back. Turned out that the lower than expected reading on the suspect coils was a problem with Ivan's test leads.  Further tested showed the coils primary coils read around .48ohms and they were all fine.  As a side, the owner of the car had a junker with the same ICM and coils, so he brought them over and they were installed which fixed the issue.  Still amazing that the 3800 could start and run on just 2 cylinders.

Really have to give Eric major kudos for responding to my inquiry so quickly and so informatively. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, drtidmore said:

Still amazing that the 3800 could start and run on just 2 cylinders

BULLETPROOF

27 minutes ago, drtidmore said:

Really have to give Eric major kudos for responding to my inquiry so quickly and so informatively

Yes, he's good People;)

21 hours ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

Correct- sorry, I didn't mean to imply it was a "new thing", what I meant was it is more advanced (upgraded) since your 10-year old version.

To answer your other question- THIS VIDEO is great advice:):):):)

The not having to figure out how to setup, synch and trigger a scope does make it easy to use, but I didn't see any great advancement.

A scope is a scope and apples to oranges, it's hard to say that the new is better than the old. The auto package software makes it easier to use under the hood, but for what the auto software package adds to the price, a guy could take a night school class on how to use an O Scope, buy a 100mhz 8 channel PC scope, a good enough for the garage laptop and have enough left over to buy a Tech 2 with all the goodies.

I have a 20 year old Windows 3 PC scope with a 9 pin serial connect and the old lap top I run it on is almost the same color as the new duct tape and JB Weld that holds it together. My software is O Scope emulation only and you need to know how to bring up and read a trace to use it. A 4 channel PC scope is a 4 channel PC scope, it's the easy to use auto shop software package that makes this thing look so good because it gives you so much so quick.

• Like 1