Who Bought the '37/'38 Century Coupe?

What particular demographic do you think GM was targeting with this car? Without being considered "ultra rare" there still were not that many built. Which "professional" would be targeted with this car? The Special also, while more expensive than it's Chevrolet/ Pontiac counterparts, upper middle class sedan found in better neighborhoods perhaps?

Century sedan? 

In an era when money was tight these were pretty good selling cars. I'm curious, who were the depression era people that could afford them.

About 20-25 years ago, I purchased a 1933 Buick 50-series business coupe from the grandson of the original owner in Connecticut. He was settling his grandfather's estate, and I was curious about what sort of work his grandfather did to be able to afford a new Buick in the middle of the Great Depression. Fearing he might say the man did something illegal or under the table (bookie? numbers runner? rum runner during prohibition?), I was relieved and had my question answered when he replied that his grandfather worked for the New Haven Railroad, in their administrative office. That makes sense. The railroads, of course, continued to operate normally, I'm sure, in the Great Depression, especially a commuter railroad like the New Haven, New York & Hartford (which, I believe is their proper and complete name).

OK, it wasn't a 37/38 Century coupe, but it's one real example of who bought a new Buick coupe in the Great Depression.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)

Yes, my '32 small sedan was owned by a doctor from new until his widow traded for a 1951 Buick.  She banged the passenger side against the garage on a regular basis, so I am guessing the '51 never got into the garage.

John

I have often pondered the same question regarding my '38 Special 2 door.

The tag on the inside of my radio said that it was installed in November of '37, with something like 15 miles on the odometer, for a customer named Gertrude Price.  (the Price name occurs frequently in the Dayton area:  Price Candies; Price Bros. Clothing store; Price cement pipe fabrication.) 

I always thought this was unusual - Great Depression (actually a recession in '38 interrupted the slow recovery); and a woman (I wasn't around yet, but I figure most cars were purchased by a man); and, not just a lower end Chevy or Plymouth or Ford.  (granted the Special was not the high end, but a step up perhaps)

Was she a young lady from a well to do family, with a new car as a gift?  Or, a single professional buying her own car? 

So, I always wondered about this.  The most I ever found was an obit for a Gertrude Price... didn't reveal much.

• Like 1