1920’s Buick 4 cylinder & Standard gas gauge cap

Hubert_25-25

Myers Early Dodge sells a 2”-24 TPI (threads per inch) nickel plated gas gauge cap.  Buick uses a 2”-20 TPI gas gauge cap on the 1923-24 4 cylinder and 1925 thru 27 Standard.  Tom at Myers says he can make the 20 TPI nickel plated gas gauge cap.

Myers also sells new gaskets, glass, gauge floats, and a 2” gas gauge if you need it, along with many other parts. 

http://www.myersearlydodge.com/catalog.htm

Photos of an original Buick 3/4" tall cap and the Dodge 5/8" tall cap.   Most originals are rough, dented, and out of round.

Be sure to use “never seize” on the threads when installing.  Maybe even Teflon tape so it will seal and you can remove it one day.

To make the Buick 2"-20 TPI gas gauge cap, they are special order and take several months.  You need to specify the alternate thread when ordering.  The Buick caps are $32.

Hugh

594e7b3d6e587_FuelGaugeCap.thumb.JPG.b0055ea18c0ea9bc4af417c41bf0882f.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25
added comment on gaskets (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Myers Early Dodge has produced a very small run of the correct size and thread nickel plated Buick gas gauge caps.  These are $32 each.  They are not listed in the catalog.  Be Sure to Specify 2"-20 TPI Buick gas gauge cap.   If you want one of these, I would not delay in ordering one, because we are small volume, and time will tell if these are a continued stock item.  Good prices on other items in their catalog as well.

http://www.myersearlydodge.com/catalog.htm

Hugh

594e7c32af4b4_Buickgasgaugecap-Meyers.thumb.JPG.59a476c0d41f75cce6de65678afb74e2.JPG

Brad,

Thank you, I got lucky in that I had a 1922 Dodge Touring at the house, and here was this one part that looked really close.  I do not think the gas gauge glass is curved.  I think it just takes a ring or stack of gaskets between the gauge face and the glass to allow for the dome shape.  Hence the taller gas gauge cap.  That is why I purchased the glass and gas gauge gaskets from Myers as well.  I also purchased their black composite (nitrophyl) float to replace the cork float.    Hugh

5951f8087699b_2015-06-1009_39_50.thumb.jpg.d53cf8ff33aab8a8a516e6be9b72b682.jpg

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

This is the installed completed gas gauge on my 1925 Buick Standard.  The Master and Early 6 cylinder  gauge is a little different and slightly larger.  I split the nitrophyl float with a razor blade and used a thin stainless wire to hold it together.   I used a piece of rubber around the gas cap for traction and to prevent putting any marks in the nickel.  I used a strap wrench to turn it.  Using a worm clamp on the rubber is also a good way to apply even pressure and to provide something to grab for rotating the cap.    I did not want to over tighten the cap, and the threads needed a little working in, so I put the piece of tape on the cap.  Once I found that the cap always stopped tightening at the same spot, I was done.    I used a good dose of neverseize on the threads and worked it in with a toothbrush prior to installing the cap.  The cap was very difficult to remove when I started this process.     Hugh

IMG_7533.thumb.JPG.8a87e68009a765bd3876db29da20ed1f.JPGIMG_7521.thumb.JPG.1facf44ba69dd65fdb4d2cd2fe682bb2.JPGIMG_7526.thumb.JPG.959ec8816800dd0a0d6d10c087b8a0d2.JPG

• Like 1