Help with ID of 1915 or 1916 Hudson

Guest Robert Render

Guest Robert Render

Hi everyone. A friend at work recently purchased a Hudson at a auction. They said it was a 1916. However i was actually able to find a 1816 manual and there are things on the car that are not in the manual. So we decided to do a little research and really arent having much luck. I cannot find the manual for the 1915 Hudson as easy as i found the one for the 1916. Probably a fluke that i found that manual actually.

So a question for you guys how do we ID this car to know for sure? We found a Number on the car and title that is G15867. Not sure if that is a model number or ID number or VIN number. Any help would be appreciated.

Guest Robert Render

Thank you hwellens. I do believe you are correct. During my hunting i just found a site classic car database. According to them this VIN# we have could be a 1916 Phaeton 6-40. Any idea where we could possibly find a manual for this car? We found one in PDF but it was the super 6 model. Im guessing since we now know thanks to your help that its 6-40 not a super six.

Guest Robert Render

You are very good hwellens :) i was just scrolling thru ebay and came up on that one. Ill have to wait till i see him to show him that. The question he has is about oil capacity. The super six said 5 quarts if you only drain the oil. But 10 quarts if you drain the oil and the troth in the engine. We dont know if that also applys to the 6-40 or if it has troths like the super six. If you have any idea on that one im all ears :)

Here's a mint 1916 Six-Forty owner's manual, but the price is shocking!  https://www.amazon.com/1916-Hudson-Model-Owners-Manual/dp/B017HLUUA4

When searching for parts, literature and technical help, always remember that the Super Six and the Six-Forty are two different models.  Parts do not necessarily interchange.

By the way, if your friend is not yet a member of the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club I would suggest he join, as it's an invaluable clearinghouse for technical information, parts, and a place to meet other Hudson owners.  http://www.hetclub.org/  Members tend to own the "newer" Hudsons but there is a small core of "really, really old" Hudsons who can offer helpful information and possibly come up with parts.  Of course, the AACA is a handy place for finding info on "old technology" as well!

Edited by Jon37 (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

You have stumbled into one of the "features" of dating early Hudsons.

From their beginning in 1909, Hudson announced their new models in late summer - early fall as the next year's model.

Thus, the 1915 Hudson models (6-40 and 6-54) came out in late 1914.

In late 1915, the 6-40 Model G (6-40) was introduced.

But then in January 1916, the Super Six (Model H) was introduced, ending the Model G's brief run.

Hudson didn't use year designations for several years, but rather used only the model letters: G, H, J , M, O, etc.