1923 Starter gears

Tom Getz

Tom, there is a sliding reduction gear between the starter/generator armature and the teeth on the flywheel.  This is absolutely just a guess, but, have you checked to make sure that this sliding gear is not hanging up due to a severe lack of lubrication?  I would check that out and make sure the gear is operating as it should.  In cases like this it is better to have a little extra grease on things than a lack thereof.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas 

Tom,I think the problem you have are that the starter-generator don`t move after you have put the ignition level on ON.The starter should move slowly after the ignition on,I think one of your problem are the bruches on the smallest collektor (generators) don`t work properly.When you put the ignition level  on ON ,the generator are slowly starting as a motor just to made it possible to put the gear in the right possision when you  press the starter pedal to the "bottom"..

Leif in Sweden

Leif is correct, your starter / generator is not motoring before you engage the starter pedal is the most likely issue.  I lived with this issue for years until I got my S/G rebuilt.

You may just need to clean up the small commutator or the three brushes on it, or replace the brushes to get the S/G to motor.

With the S/G brush cover off and the ignition on, press lightly with an insulated tool on the small commutator brushes and see if the S/G begins to motor.  If it does, this is your issue.

The motoring is needed so the starter gears do not clash upon engagement, they are moving/motoring so they fall into mesh.