65 grille removal

RIVNIK

Somebody help me !                   I'm replacing the grille on my '65. I vaguely remember having it off the car (20 years ago or so) & assumed it was a snap......must've been in a dream. After removing the bolts that attach it topside, & the nuts holding it to the bumper filler/valance, I see the grille will not tilt forward enough to clear the overhanging fenders on either side.      Q. if I remove the bolts which attach the filler plate to the fenders & crossmember,will I be able to get enough clearance? Will it help to remove the bumper? (It doesn't look like it interferes in any way)  Or.........If somebody could come over & do it for me just this first time while I look over your shoulder, then I wouldn't have to bother you about it anymore.                Thanks, RIVNIK

• Like 1

The "nuts" on the bottom side thread onto studs in the bottom of the grill.  If you double-nut the stud you can remove it from the grill, not just the nut.  Then you won't have to drag the studs across the lower valance.  At least that's the way the 63-64 grills attach to the valance.  I'd think the 65 should be the same but.......

Ed

Success!  Double nutting the studs as Ed suggested proved difficult in the tight confines, but I was able to unbolt the valance & tip it down enough to get the grille out with them in place. I put pieces of duct tape on the valance to prevent the studs from scratching it.  It took a little prying and manipulating. Then I removed the studs from the new grille and it went in easily. Thanks for the advice!   BTW.... the grille I recently purchased came bolted to a valance which had beed blasted & painted Riviera sea foam green. It is in absolutely NOS condition if anyone is interested get in touch....I promise you a terrific deal (.there are several on Ebay in terrible condition for ridiculous amounts) .    RIVNIK