53 Buick Riviera windshield motor

Tom_S

53 Buick Riviera model 45R, series 50  Would anyone know where I could purchase a windshield wiper motor/assembly for this car?  Have a broken cable holder inside the housing. 

Thanks for any leads

Tom Schmutz

There is a 53 Buick at the yard I go to, I missed it last week but if I see it this week I can let you know. Would have to buy the whole unit, and I'm not sure how much it will cost. Last time I was there, I pulled two dual exhaust manifolds off a 56 Buick for $150 total, a distributor for $20, a power steering pump for $40 and a starter for $30. Pretty reasonable guy, can't see it being more than $30.

I would appreciate your checking into it and wiling to purchase the entire assembly if it is not broken.  The part broken on this one is the cable holder that has come loose from the shaft inside the housing,  Should be able to manually move it to see if the blade holders rotate.  But if no way to check then at $30 or so willing to take that chance.  Have come up with a way to make a repair on this one, but a non broken one would be better. 

I am doing this for an older friend who does not do the computer stuff.  If you get it, send me you phone/address/etc., and I will have him contact you direct to make arrangements for payment and shipping.  Very reliable person.

Thanks very much for your help.

Tom

Tom, the yard is only open on Saturdays but I'll see if I can make an appointment tomorrow. I will take pictures if I can get out there and let you know condition and whether or not you'd like to purchase. I'm assuming you're talking about the wiper motor transmission that has two wires going to each wiper arm? Not the actual wiper motor itself, correct?

14 hours ago, Tom_S said:

53 Buick Riviera model 45R, series 50  Would anyone know where I could purchase a windshield wiper motor/assembly for this car?  Have a broken cable holder inside the housing. 

Thanks for any leads

Tom Schmutz

Your post is confusing. Hopefully, you get the correct one you're looking for. 

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Benjamin,

Yes it is the transmission with the 2 wires.  The monkey metal wire holder has come loose from the shaft on this one.  Someone tried epoxy years ago.  The present owner has only had the car for a few months and just found this problem.  Will take any parts that the junk yard wants to sell, but mainly the transmission.  Do not go to any extra trouble, Saturdays are fine. 

Al,

Only going by what the owner has told me and I know nothing about this vehicle.  Is there something wrong with the model/series numbers and does this cause getting the proper unit? 

Thanks,

Tom . 

1953 Buick 40 Series are different than 50-70 Series...but anything is possible what happened to the Buick in the last 60+ years. 

These drawings are generic. Let me know what part you're looking for and I'll look up the interchangeability with other years, models, and marques.

EDIT:  Drawing was deleted due to misleading information.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

Al,

It is the transmission with cable assembly (item L)  for the 51-52-53 series 50-70 as noted in your second photo  So, I assume one from 1951, 1952, 1953 series 50-70 will fit. 

Thanks,

Tom

Tom S,

♦  In your original post, you mentioned that the 1953 Buick Riviera you're working on is a Model 45R, series 50. It's either or...not both...and most likely the 45R is correct.

♦  The information that I posted in Post #7 above, like previously mentioned, is generic and misleading somewhat. You will notice that it makes no reference to 40-Series Buicks.

♦  The top half of the page shows a 'somewhat typical' 1953 windshield wiper and motor assembly, where the motor is mounted on the face of the cowl under the hood, on 1953 Series 50-70 Buicks.

♦  The bottom half of the page shows a 'somewhat typical' 1953 windshield wiper and motor assembly for a 1953 Series-40 Buick, where the motor is mounted under the instrument panel.

♦  Since you confirmed that the part you are looking for is part "L" in the bottom picture, that tells me that you are most likely working on a Model 45R, Series-40 Buick. Parts from 1953 Series 50-70 do not look like these and will not work on a 1953 Series 40 them.

♦  According to a BUICK MASTER BODY PARTS BOOK, part "L" is handed, left or right.

A confirmation on the Series and whether it's for the Left or Right side of the car is needed before I go any further.  

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

Al, Benjamin

I know nothing about this model Buick, but called the owner this morning to verify some stuff. It is a 53 Buick Riviera, v8 making it a series 50-70. The windshield wipers are operated with cables, not rods, going from motor to the wiper transmissions. 

The part specifically broken is passenger side transmission with cables. He will take any and all parts associated with the wipers including the motor/transmission to both wiper transmissions and cables. Hope this helps clear up any confusion and apologize for my ignorance

tom

Tom S,

Nothing to apologize for...that's what this Forum is for. The part on a 1953 Series 50-70 is interchangeable with many other years and marques.

1-Scan.jpg.9c7e298b51e706aa440251d3f6d44c4a.jpg

I might be able to come up with a good picture of this but I'll need a day or two. Thanks.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

Tom,

Not sure if you've seen my radio repair thread but there is a large radio expo this Saturday at the same time as the junkyard is open. I was hoping I wouldn't have to go, but it's once a year. I've tried to get to the yard earlier and the owner has been down with a cold. We're into the non-stop rains here, so he's a bit hesitant to go out to the yard. Needless to say, he will be open. I'm hoping I can get in and out of the convention in a timely matter, but just wanted to give a head's up that I might take a bit longer to check out those parts.

Tom,

Sorry to say but the 53 Roadmaster at the junkyard has been completely gutted on the inside. I've never peeked into it until now. The windshield wiper arm transmissions are also gone, but the engine bay has been left partially unmolested. If there's anything else your friend might need, then let me know. This is all that's left of the car.

17202850_10155854054560830_3148403715497

17021411_10155854054180830_8905519690033