1956 Ford hood latch

wcpaxton

I have a 1956 Ford Fairlane Sunliner and having trouble with the hood latch not holding all the time. Of course the safety hook (if that is what it is called) still holds so the hood won't fly up.  I recently greased the latch so I would be sure that it was springing back closed.  Does anyone know if there is any adjustment I can make or do I need a new latch, etc.?? 

Thanks in advance!!!    Coalter Paxton

Run a piece of masking tape up the full length of the post where it rubs against the latch and close the hood. That will tell you if you're getting to the latch point. If you're low on the barb you can adjust for height, if you are beyond the nub best to replace for safety sake.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Digger914 said:

Run a piece of masking tape up the full length of the post where it rubs against the latch and close the hood. That will tell you if you're getting to the latch point. If you're low on the barb you can adjust for height, if you are beyond the nub best to replace for safety sake.

I had the same problem with my Buick

I fixed  it the way Digger described. Turned the barb bolt to make it longer.

it's a trial and error process

And you are right to put lots of grease... copious amounts of white lithium grease

Edited by JamesBulldogMiller55Buick (see edit history)

On 2/19/2017 at 4:08 PM, wcpaxton said:

I have a 1956 Ford Fairlane Sunliner and having trouble with the hood latch not holding all the time. Of course the safety hook (if that is what it is called) still holds so the hood won't fly up.  I recently greased the latch so I would be sure that it was springing back closed.  Does anyone know if there is any adjustment I can make or do I need a new latch, etc.?? 

Thanks in advance!!!    Coalter Paxton

I'm not familiar with the Ford latch. 

But, I'm assuming it's similar to my Buick.latch barb bolt looks like?

Is this what your hood latch barb bolt looks like?

to elongate , turn it counter clock wise

to shorten , turn it clock wise

You'll also have to adjust the stops that the  hood rests on.

Again, I'm telling you from my experience with my Buick

Can you post photos? 

Bulldog

Ford Hood Barb.jpg