248 Compression Test

Jack Worstell

Jack, theoretically, 6.3 ratio would be 6.3 x 14.7 = 93 psi.  But consider heat of compression which causes a temperature and therefore a pressure increase, multiply by about 1.3 and you get 120 Psig.  Now, because valves and rings are not perfect, you'll lose pressure.  So, if you run a compression test and are between 95 and 110, I'd say that was pretty good.

Lots of experts here, hopefully you'll get insight from others.

Joel

Joel and Dave...thanks for the help.

Joel...thanks for your nice easy explanation of why it's hard to predict compression test results in a simple fashion using the compression ratio..

.....    And I've read that camshaft overlap/timing also enters into this and further complicates predicting compression test results from the compression ratio even further.....   am I right in assuming the valve/camshaft timing/overlap   always tends to lower compression test pressure results vs the "theory"   calculated  from using the compression ratio ??

(And I understand that the temperature increase happens because of "adiabatic" compression.).......

Dave.... we ran a compression test on our 1937 Special today.  We where pleased to get about 110 psi on all cylinders ( except one or two were down to about  105psi

So why ?............did a previous owner "shave' the head ?  Or maybe installed dome pistons to replace the original flat pistons ??     ( If you get 90lbs on your 1938...which has I think   6.1 compression ratio.....then that suggests that in the past someone has done something to get our engine up to maybe   6.5 compression ratio ??????  ).

I guess to get a specific answer we would have to remove the head and see what we have.........but for now we'll just accept the good results and go onto something else..........but it would sure be nice to know the compression ratio and horsepower improvements as a consequence of whatever good work some previous owner has done.....

Jack Worstell       jlwmaster@aol.com     

• Like 2