my new toy

Storkey

Hi everyone, I am a new member and I thought I would share pictures of the "1950 Pontiac Silver streak" I have just bought home, one family owner since new.  (its my third Pontiac) I have all the original paper work from the dealer including the receipts and hand book workshop book, so happy to get this car..., I am looking for a company that sells decals , I need the decals for the engine bay for a start, the air cleaner sign is a tad faded, I live in country Victoria in Australia, hope someone can help find what I am looking for, I have just fitted the wheel trims and the whitewalls, waiting on custom made venetian for the rear window... that will do it fro now, a visor and spats for the the rear wheels would be good too

Cheers

Russ  

DSCN4581.JPG

DSCN4583.JPG

DSCN4616.JPG

Lovely Pontiac, absolutely gorgeous.  It would be nice to see a picture of the plate on the firewall.  I'm sure that you already know but that would tell us whether it was a Chieftain or a Chieftain De Luxe and whether it was an American or Canadian Pontiac.

The car has a "General Motors Holden"...tag....167 off the line?.

Australian delivery. The owner took delivery in August 1951, after a 2 year wait for the car to arrive.

When I get on my main computer, i will post the info..yes it's a great car, so much history. I just fitted the White walls today,they came from of all places.. Istanbul Turkey.

DHL delivered post free in 6 days!!

Edited by Storkey
tpyo's (see edit history)

Did you notice that they put the steering wheel on the wrong side?  We don't often see Holden build plates. # 167 of 341 puts your car right in the middle of 1950's Australian production.  Quite a rare automobile.

Thanks for that, there is something special about this car, from the time I found it , its been in a shed in a country town 200 kl from me, I bought it home on a flat top tow truck  and then worked on it, minor work to put it back on the road.. just love to drive the car, so smooth, so many people down here see and ita a real head turner, I would be interested in your opinion on the value of the car over there?.. by the way still after a contact fro decals for the engine bay.. and thanks  for  the chat, I would like to get more info on how you know about the build of the car, was it completely built in USA or Canada or imported left hook and work done in Australia to meet our standards.. Cheers 

DSCN4403.JPG

Hi Again, Can you explain what the numbers mean on the plate?, I would love to be able to explain to people that see the car at shows, got a big one coming up in March.

So good to have a forum with the help I am  getting, well done, a nice welcome.   

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just finished the venetian blind for the 1950 Pontiac,

Looking around, I found the cost of a pro built one was around $300.00, so I decided to make one .. A visit to the local junk shop and a find, A cedar house venetian blind for $15.00. used the slats and made the supports.. bit of time and paint.. and all done for less than $40.00. Very happy with result ...   

DSCN5156.JPG

DSCN5157.JPG

DSCN5023.JPG

10 hours ago, GARY F said:

Very nice work

The secret is in the saw that cut the 34 degree angle on the supports on the venetian..

It pays to have friends with good power tools.. He will be rewarded in red wine.  Lots of it  LOL