TR 6

Guest AFM

1974 TR6 undergoing a complete frame up restoration.  The car has been two other owner's project but neither were able to complete over several years.  Completely rust free California car which purchased in a semi-dismantled state.  I was fortunate enough to not only buy the car but a significant number of parts including an extra engine, transmission and rolling chassis.   Currently I have the car stripped and will sending it off to be plastic media blasted.  From there the body will undergo a rotisserie repaint while the chassis is outfitted with all new running gear and refurbished drive train.

Hope to be on the road by the Summer of 2017.

IMG_20161022_184048_834.jpg

IMG_20161022_184025_221.jpg

1974-triumph-tr6-overdrive-matching-numbers-rust-free-california-car-project-car-2.jpg

Pretty good body to start with it looks like. Media blaster will tell all. These were subject to rust in the floors which yours look OK and on the rear deck area as well as the wheel wells. I have a 1971 that I'm going to restore as soon as I get my 1928 Durant done. Can't wait to get both cars done so I can drive them. I really enjoy driving the TR6. You doing it back to factory specs or doing the Toyota conversion?

Mike,  Pretty sure I am going to stick with the original specs.  The body and frame are so good I hate to modify it.  I am curious to know what a Toyota conversion is.  Could you bring me up to speed on that?

Thanks

AFM;

Did your car have the overdrive transmission or the standard 4 speed?  If you had the overdrive, no problem with doing the highway speeds of today, but if you have the standard 4 speed like I have, when you do interstate or the highway speeds of today, the car is really winding out.  There is a conversion that a gentleman makes (not cheap but provides new cast bell housing etc) that allows you to put a 1980's Toyota Celica or Supra transmission in the TR6. It fits right up and the gear shift matches up and looks stock. The only way to really know you don't have the original transmission is if someone gets down and looks at it.  If your going to show the car after restoration than I'd go to 100% original and if you don't have the overdrive transmission, I'd locate one. If your car is not a numbers matching car and you don't plan to show it, you might check this out. Also are you aware of the site www.6-pack.org. It's the TR6 club web site. It has a tone of information on the TR6 and a great club. I'm not a member, only because I belong to way to many clubs now. Renewal time kills me between my car hobby and all my other hobbies but this is a great club and you don't have to be a member to join the forum area there. Plenty of members who will provide great help. PM me if you need any other information or help.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for your great input.  My car has the overdrive option.  I ran and winterized the engine  today and began pulling it for the body rotisserie part of the restoration. 

I did join the Six Pack Club but like you but I am in several clubs now and just haven't done much with the Six Pack.  I do, however, intend to make a point of taking some time to check out what they have to offer.  The Triumph Forum has been a good source of info.