1918 u joint seal

Jbjgo

There is a metal concave ring at the rear of the transmission and in front of the u joint that is a seal between the trans and u joint space as I understand.  Maybe i am missing some thing but can not figure out how this seal is held in place?  JIM

Jim,

A photo would help here and a little about your particular vehicle might grab the attention of someone who has the same vintage auto.  Most seals I've seen are held in place by friction. They are pressed into a precisely machined recess in the casting.  Removing them can be a little work and you will end up damaging, or destroying, it in the process so make sure you have a replacement on hand before you proceed.

• 2 weeks later...

The seal was just a cork ring. Best method is to run sealed bearings on both the front and rear of the tranny. Grease in the bearings stays clean and good forever pretty much. Do NOT make any gasket or sealer on the little inspection cover on top of the tranny as it needs to breathe a little. Use 600W gear oil from any of the antique car parts dealers, Model A, etc. Then there is also a felt "seal" in the clamshell that covers the u-joint and joins the driveshaft to the tranny.

Dave