WIPERS WILL NOT SHUT OFF

HELP ! I have a great 1984 Olds 88. This car still has only 41,000 miles. I only have one problem, The wipers seem to have a mind of thier own. They dont want to start immedately when the switch is activated and when they do come on, they dont want to go off. this problem seems to be worse when the car has just been started and not run along time. After driving for awhile they usualy work fine. Also, during the time they dont want to shut off, I can stop and completely shut the car down, then restart and they will shut off. Anyone out there who has had a simular problem, please HELP. thanks Dennis Weber BCA #24134

Never heard of such a thing and am unfimilar with that series car. Is it vacumne controled or something?Doesnt shut of with the key? Could it be a wacked out relay? A few years back I was sitting at the kitchen table one morning. Enjoying my coffee, but I kept hearing this noise,vowout-vowout. It was the antenna on our 86 LeSabre going up and down.Wacked out power antenna relay! Another time the same car, my wife calls me from the grocery store, the car wont let her in,keeps making clicking noise. Wacked out door lock relay!Had to get in time with it and the door lock key and trick our way back into the protesting car. <P>Who says cars dont have a personality! rolleyes.gif" border="0

Limited, I thought Christine was a Plymouth! grin.gif" border="0 <P>Dennis, if you have delay wipers the problem will be in the pulse timer or park relay, which are both inside the wiper motor. Your best bet may be to get a junkyard wiper motor and see if the problem goes away.<P>My 83 Custom Cruiser quirks like this sometimes in cold weather, say 30 or below. The wipers won't start but you can hear the motor buzzing. Turn 'em off and back on using the wash paddle, and then they'll work.<P>Had to replace the column mounted wiper switch a couple years back. The thing locked up tight and couldn't move it. Replacing it was an adventure too.

OH YEA!!!!one time she goes to the laundry shuts the car off and it never starts again until my diagnostics guy puts a crank or cam sensor in. On 3 other random occasions it would not restart after buying gas until it sat for 5 minutes. Thats 3 times in the course of 80,000 miles hard to diagnose that.At 30-35 mph the torque convertor lock up goes in and out-in and out.When she sits to get the mail at the mail box everynight I can hear the thing idleing like its going to die any time for ever then straightens out and idles fine, then back to near death.This is the beauty of owning the first generation of totally electronic engines.<P>Can you believe this is my favorite car.<P>1986 Buick LeSabre Limited 2dr. coupe <BR>3.0,red interior<P>Thats O.K. though, when my 1988 Dodge Dakota had 25,000 miles on it my daughter and I were down just south of Wilkes-Barre PA. exactly one full tank of gas from home when - after stopping to fill up and leave the gas station as soon as the truck gets up to speed and levels out it shuts off like someone killed the key. As long as I was accelerating it would run fine just not cruise or decelerate.It was some show watching us get off the interstate and to a hotel at about 12:00 at night.Glad there was no cops around to witness the radical driving! Winds up being the computor box. The guy in PA. did not take the outa-stator to the cleaners either for which I was most greatful. He had a lot of time into trouble shooting it too because it gave no codes. The truck is still my daily driver and now has 122,000 trouble free.<P>The car I bought to replace the LeSabre when I re"stored" it is the 89 NewYorker. Well that hit a deer after about 3 months I replaced the header panel hood and paint. It now has a Imperial header panel which looks nicer and is more areo.At any rate these have the hidden headlights. well after a while it would begin with a blinking headlight show, high beams only and only sometimes. It was in perfect time on for 1 min. off for 5 sec. after about six months this became frequent enough to try to figure out. That winds up being the headlight on-off switch. It gets warm with the added amperage of the highbeams and throws some built in breaker in the switch.<P>And I told Dennisweber47 I'd never heard of such a thing. <P> rolleyes.gif" border="0 <P>Christine is alive and well and lives in my cars! shocked.gif" border="0

Dennis, I just read your message, the problem is most likely at the park switch attached to the wiper motor. They are usually adjustable from the outside although you may have to move the motor to see it.