How to remove a steering column from a '24 roadster

fiddlerbill

I want to take the steering column out of my roadster in order to replace the upper floor board. I have the bolts out of the shaft where it attaches to the steering box and have the wheel dropped at the dash  and unbolted at the floorboard,

. Can I drive the shaft out of the steering box?

I'm not an expert on the 24 cars, but I've never owned an old car where you had to remove the steering column to get the floorboards out.  Most have split floorboards (like my 32) or an open notch that allows removal.  Are you sure it has to come out?

Although the top toeboard is cut and slotted for removal, nevertheless after you've removed the steering column once, it becomes pretty easy to do, it makes things a lot easier to work on, and it makes the top toeboard come out more easily.

In the middle of the slot in the steering shaft clamp, you will see a space between the steering column shaft and the steering box worm shaft.  After removing the clamp's bolts completely, and maybe spraying some penetrating oil into the slot, stick in a screwdriver that will just fit into that space and wiggle it hard.  The steering shaft will start to be pushed out of the clamp.  You might need to change to wiggling a wider screwdriver in order to push the steering shaft completely out of the clamp, and you will also need to remove the throttle and ignition advance rod levers from their rods and then remove the rods.

I was able to remove the steering wheel by driving a metal wedge into the slot very carefully and "wiggle" the steering wheel back and forth by hand thus releasing the grip the 80 year old shaft had in the slot. Note: it is necessary to remove the steering wheel if you are replacing the uppermost toe board. I suggest you do this before you have the engine installed. I had been driving mine for a few years before deciding to replace this part of the floorboards.

My '25 which I'm pretty sure had the original toe boards, did require removing steering column to replace the upper toe board.  I don't remember it being too difficult to separate the steering shaft once the two pinch bolts were removed and the slot wedged.