1931 Model S Truck

I am restoring a 1931 Studebaker SPA truck.  It's either an S-30 or S-60, 1 1/2 ton or 2 ton -- don't know how to tell the difference as they are both 160" wheel base.

Mine is a chassis and cab only, with duals on the rear.  It is very complete, except is missing the front bumper, so if anyone knows the whereabouts of an appropriate bumper I would appreciate the information.  Also, I would be interested in any available information.  I have a really nice salesman's manual but nothing as far as parts or service manuals.  The engine is free so I'm going to try to get it running and then decide if I need to rebuild it.  Most of the work is just going to be disassembly, repair and reassembly.  I do have to replace all of the wood cab frame.

Thanks in advance for any help or advise.

Mike 

Mike;

Congratulations on your purchase. Your truck is a model S-60 which was the 2-ton model on the 160" wheelbase. Production began on this series in September 1930 and continued through December 1931. The serial range was 3475001 to 3477071. A total South Bend production of 2070 and another 76 in Walkerville, Ontario. The engine was a 205 cubic inch Six with 68 horsepower. This same engine was used in the 1931 model 54 Six passenger cars and it was carried over from the 1930 model 53. All significant specs on your truck engine would be the same as on those passenger cars. I do have specs on it and also Studebaker Service Bulletins that cover other aspects of the series. There was also a Master Parts Book issued in August 1934 covering all 1931-34 S and T models, it is 268 pages.

You might want to check that engine number as it should start with the prefix 2T followed by a 3 or 4 digit number.

Richard Quinn
editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

31 truck s series specs photo.jpg

Richard,

Thank you for the information, that illustration looks exactly like my truck.  I bet the engine number, which I thought was 211239, is actually 2T1239.  I'll check that when I get home this evening.  Please let me know what items you have that can be copied and the cost.  I'd like to get as much info as I can. 

Thanks again, Mike

Mike

I have an engine block , cylinder head and an inside door handle for that truck.

As far as I know I have original parts books for it also and many small parts inventoried by part number such as spring shackles.

Email me at studebaker@mac.com.

I am old and slow , so please have patience.

Robert Kapteyn