A well researched Cougar

nzcarnerd

Probably not a lot of survivors of this model, even in the US. This one came here in 1971.  This may have been of the many US cars imported to NZ by American servicemen working with the Antarctic Support Program operating at Christchurch International Airport. It is still operating. I regularly drive past there and at this time of year there is usually one or two C17s and a few C130s to be seen, ready to fly supplies south when the weather permits. It would have looked much the same in 1971 except that the big transport would have been a C141.

IMG_7759.JPG

IMG_7760.JPG

IMG_7761.JPG

IMG_7762.JPG

An S code 4 speed is a pretty desirable car just about anywhere on the planet. I see from the Marti Report the car no longer has its vinyl roof. While I'm usually a fan of vinyl tops from this era, I never really cared for a "third" color top. If the vinyl matches the interior or paint, it usually looks pretty sharp. In this case, the car probably looks better in its current condition without the vinyl. Great car!

51 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I assume the GTE hood was added?

Any 4 speed in a early cougar is very rare.

In the early '70s, a friend had a Cougar, either from 1967 or 68 - the color was very similar to the car in the OP.  It had a factory 3-speed, not a 4-speed.  I'm assuming that would be a fairly rare car, too.

Edited by Dosmo (see edit history)