wood spoke wheel 21-22-23

Ladies and Gents
anyone got some pics of the Studebaker rear wood spoke wheel early 20's would like to see some off car front and back with rim off.  also looked and did not see what the diameter of the rear drum is, inside or out, and diameter of the rear axle.  any help with this info appreciated.

Ken

just bought these hoping they are 1923 Stude, will find out by next season, if they are need some split rims and front bearings and seals, anyone got part numbers handy? I used to think only Stude had that bulge in the rear spoke until i saw a Dodge light truck with similar spokes.  what else did?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

Edited by 1927Chevy (see edit history)

Ken,

Front wheel bearing part numbers for 1923/24 Big Six and Special Six are as follows:

Inner cone: Timken 3381

Inner cup: Timken 3331

Outer cone: Timken 2232

Outer cup: Timken 2330

In 1924 they also list another outer cone and cup:

Outer cone: Timken 2687

Outer cup: Timken 2631

The 2232/2330 bearing combo has a 1.00" ID (spindle) and 2.24" OD (wheel hub bore)

The 2687/2631 bearing combo has a 1.00" ID (spindle) and 2.615" OD (wheel hub bore)

Assuming the wood wheels you purchased are pre-1924 or 1924 with the smaller outer bore, the bearings in your disc wheel hubs should swap right in.

Scott

update:

much to my dismay these appear to be something other than Stude, the felloe measures out the same as Stude on all wheels and the rear hub diameter may work on the Stude axle but the Stude hub cap is to large and a Dodge hubcap fits.  The front hub diameter is around 2.1.  I have only seen the rear spoke with belly on Stude and Dodge.  Thank god They were cheap.  Now I gotta decide if I want to resell them or keep them for parts as the felloe are perfect as well as the spokes, if I find some Stude hubs could swap them.  Could also hang them on the wall as they are very nice, some of the nicest off car spokes I have ever seen.  they were cheap and gambled.  Could install them and drive around with Dodge hubcaps!

Ken,

Studebaker made a few different size center caps.  As long as the rear hub taper and front bearing ODs are correct you may have Studebaker wheels.  Different years and disc vs wood have differing cap threads.  Is the measurement 2-1/6" or 2-1/8"?

Scott

That looks like a Light Six wheel and center cap. Light Six hub threads are 2-1/2" (1920-1924).  My book lists Big Six and Special Six hub caps as 2-5/8" or 3-1/8" depending on wheel type. I can't find any Studebaker hubs with 2-3/8". Also the Light Six had no rivet through the spoke with the bulge so I'm not sure what you have. Are you sure they are 2-3/8" ?

Edited by Stude Light
Spelling (see edit history)

they are in Wisconsin I am here in Chicago, s/b in Wisconsin in morning will measure then. sorry been doing the back and forth thing cause i gotta work.  its always there and i am always here.  if you know what i mean, measure twice cut once. cap in post 12 is 2 1/2 diameter to clarify. 

I have another wood spoke wheel I purchased from someone trusted who told me its early 20's big six  Stude,  its the same as these 2 3/8 hub cap. I used this as what to look for.  well I found it, I think thats Dodge also not Stude.  thank god they were cheap. anyone got some pictures of 1923 Stude big six wood spoke wheel and split rim (measurements)?  I am curious now.  

could always hang these on the wall.

Scott

I got that disease, got this want that.  My Chevy's have both.  If I found wire probably would want them also.  Was thinking put wood on one side steel on the other then got both at the same time.  Got a touring car now want sedan.  ALSO WANT A 1954 PACKARD PACIFIC!!

Ken

• 6 years later...