Anybody still use ebay for finding parts?

Guest 32mod55

Guest 32mod55

I have a few parts left over from when I was working on my 1932 Studebaker Six (sold) and put them on ebay.  With all the junk spam listings on "feebay" (like seat covers, stereos, antennas etc that "fit" 1930s cars etc), does anybody still search for this stuff or should I put them up for sale here?  Getting rid of stuff I won't be using but I hate to just toss things that someone else needs.

Edited by 32mod55
typo (see edit history)

I have been using eBay since it started. I have found that just about all the people are good to deal with.

A pair of 1937 Maryland plates just arrived today that I bought on eBay. I looked everywhere at Hershey last weekend and couldn't find them. 

Just checked Ebay for numbers:

for "Studebaker" in all categories: 82,501 listings

for "Studebaker -fits" in all categories: 43,282 listings

for "Studebaker -fits" auctions only:  1,194 listings.  Of these most of them, say 90%, really are Studebaker items or period accessories that you might actually look at.

Yes, there really is a bunch of crap out there, but a little selectivity in the search gets rid of the worst of it.  If a listing is not really for an auction, I'm never going to see it and might miss a little useful stuff, but not much.  I have bought quite a few useful things from Ebay.  Where else would I look besides the Studebaker Swap Page?  It's a little tougher with marketing pre-war parts, if only because the ASC membership (~1200 people) isn't all that computer-savvy and few of them hang out here.  Even for SDC members, only about 1,000 of the 12,000 members visit the Forum with any regularity and only about 200 post frequently.  It's hard to guess the number of "lurkers" who read but never post.  Listings in Turning Wheels or ASC Review can help to sell parts but the lead time is very long, i.e. 3-4 months. 

I also just checked the SDC Forum.  It just passed the 1,000,000th post, has 8,392 "members" but only 1,107 "active members", people who have posted more than a few times and have posted recently.  As of about 11:00 pm Saturday night, there were 743 users active on the site but only 112 of those were members of the site, i.e. they had signed up and gave an email address but are NOT necessarily SDC paid members.  I don't know how to get site statistics for the Studebaker Forum here on the AACA site.  Some people get a lot for free and get stroppy when asked to actually pay a little in dues to support these forums.