1937 Special - front suspension paint scheme?

70sWagoneers

Hello, Im starting to rebuild just the front suspension of my 1937 Buick Special 40. Once everything is fixed I want to paint everything. I would like it to LOOK as close to stock as possible, but I'll make authenticity compromises for the sake or RUSTPROOFING!

First, what is painted, what sheen, and what is left bare metal? I have William Anderson's 1941 Restoration book, but I do assume there could be differences with the 1937. Anderson says the frame is 70-90% gloss and the suspension pieces are 60%. Are the frame and suspension pieces the same gloss level or different gloss like Anderson says? I would like to use Eastwood's 2k Ceramic Chassis black; mixing gloss and satin to get what sheen I need.

What sheen are the black oxide fasteners? Most of the black hardware from my car that is in good shape is from satin to semi-gloss (Im no expert tho). Eastwood has a black-oxide paint kit, but it is nearly a matte finish. Perhaps I should just use the 2k Ceramic Chassis black satin??

Anyone have experiece with clearcoating the natural metal parts like the tie rods and steering knuckle?

And lastly, are the splash pans on either side of the block frame color? I can't exactly tell if mine are black or body color Chancellor Blue.

Thanks

James C.

Edited by 70sWagoneers (see edit history)

Many  bolts are bare metal unplated or unpainted, I have found it a mix   . The side pans on my '38's were just slightly off gloss and most parts a mix of different black semi gloss. Since  parts were painted before assembly, I believe they were a mix of different glosses and not all the same.

I also believe that there were variations in paints from plant to plant and variations through the year. 

Buick didnt worry much about unseen stuff. The engine on my Roadmaster, when I got it, looked like some one had just thrown a bucket of paint at it - and it was original. The frame had all kinds of runs in the paint.