Tips on removing/reinstalling Starter '50 Buick

beerczar1976

Okay.  Definitely don't have anything like that in my current tool selection.  I'll see if I can pick one up.  Otherwise would have to use some crazy combination of sockets and joints.  Any other tips out there?  Pins or linkages that I need to know about our just a bolt-on interface?  Any special electrical stuff to worry about, or just re-attach the wires?

I've got the shop manual, and will review if it gives guidance on removal/install, but I know advice from those that have been there is more helpful sometimes that the book.

Get the book, you need one.

The bottom starter bolt is easy to get out, the top one, not so much. They might have a version of that wrench at an auto parts store. It's really bloody hard to make any other combo work well, ESPECIALLY if you don't have a lift.

Wiring: Make sure your wires don't touch each other when you reconnect them to the rebuilt starter. Oh... And disconnect your battery first. That big wire on the starter is connected directly to the battery and big sparks would fly if you tried to disconnect the wire with juice flowing through it.

• Like 1

Gotcha.  Going to replace the battery too.  Mine's about 6 yrs. old and unfortunately spent most of its time on a trickle charger.  That mixed with an original, probably never serviced, starter, and perhaps even a weak coil, doesn't make for a happy ignition system.

Will look thru the Shop Manual for instruction.  I've found that sometimes the 1949 Manual is actually a bit more helpful than what Buick put out in '50.

7 hours ago, buick5563 said:

Or drop by my house and borrow one of mine.

That starter is HEAVY. Be careful.

Ben

• Like 1