1936 Auburn Water Outlet

Your question does not make sense to me via terminology - do you have a picture?  The only "valves" on the engine should be the drain on the side of the supercharger top case and on the radiator at the lower hose.    Also you can post out on Auburn Cord Duesenberg forum.

Do you mean the thermostat ?  An aluminum head has a relief for the thermostat and a steel head generally does not (have not yet figured our what they did for a thermostat on a steel head car).  On an aluminum head the thermostat fits in the head and then the gasket goes on and then the neck bolts on,  Thermostat is a five dollar item at local auto parts store (I generally get one that is lower temperature - under 180 degrees).The gasket is made of paper gasket material - I would use sealer on such.

8 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Your question does not make sense to me via terminology - do you have a picture?  The only "valves" on the engine should be the drain on the side of the supercharger top case and on the radiator at the lower hose.    Also you can post out on Auburn Cord Duesenberg forum.

Do you mean the thermostat ?  An aluminum head has a relief for the thermostat and a steel head generally does not (have not yet figured our what they did for a thermostat on a steel head car).  On an aluminum head the thermostat fits in the head and then the gasket goes on and then the neck bolts on,  Thermostat is a five dollar item at local auto parts store (I generally get one that is lower temperature - under 180 degrees).The gasket is made of paper gasket material - I would use sealer on such.

I must apologize for my unclear nomenclature, I did in fact mean the thermostat. Also your answer was exactly what I was seeking, thank you very much for the help.

You will want to make sure the surfaces are flat - they have a tendency to warp.  NOS fillers are available via Auburn Cord Parts Company or Curt Schulze.

You may have to grind the edge of the thermostat to get it to seat down in the aluminum head groove

Also, I put a 3/16 to 1/4 inch hole in the thermostat = eliminates air pockets and maintains some circulation while warming up