Model 20 flywheel

1912Minerva

G'day Hup fans,

Any tips for pulling the flywheel off the Hup 20 motor?  I have had mine off before but am struggling to get it off this time.  I'm thinking a 2 arm bearing puller of the right size (which I don't have) may be the best to fit in between the fan blades.  Currently using a 3 arm puller which I can't get an even pressure on.

My car is leaking too much oil out the crank case behind the flywheel so am going to try and see if I can get a modern oil seal in there.  I know they did this from new to a certain extent but the amount oil my car is spraying out is too much and oil is getting everywhere (and I haven't taken it for a decent drive yet...).

I also lose oil from the mag cover.  I have a metal baffle in there but someone mentioned an oil seal in the cover itself?  I don't see how one could fit??

As usual - any help , tips, suggestions gratefully received.

Regards,

Andrew.

The leak at the front behind the flywheel was common, and Hupp even provided a cover over the area so that the oil wouldn't spray inside the hood.

I put a piece of felt between the magneto gear and the housing, and that seems to help quite a bit on the leaking at the magneto housing.

1910 Hupp Dec 2009 005.jpg

Well, I got an oil seal that seems to fit ok in behind the flywheel.  Installed it today and then started the car briefly (no radiator!) and lo and behold, no oil leaking out.  How long the seal will last I wouldn't like to say.  However I wired together the bolts that hold the crank handle to the front cross member which enables to me to easily remove the crank handle without removing the radiator (which I have had to do until now as the bolts turn under the radiator when undoing the nuts).  This means I just have to remove the front apron and crank handle to access the flywheel with the puller and get it off.   That way I can fairly easily try different seals or materials if my current fix doesn't last long....

• 1 month later...

G,day Huppers. The front main bearing used a labrinth  a groove at the flywheel end of the bearing which led to a channel  between the bearing and its housing. Oil was supposed to drain into this channel  and run out the other end back into the crankcase We took the bearing mount off the crankcase and machined the crank handle support round and true then fixed an extension  to the fly wheel to run a seal here. works ok.  Any crankcase pressure pushed oil out of the original system. We have a lip seal in the magneto gear cover which bolts to the cam box. This seal is running on the outside of the boss of the mag gear and must be assembled before mounting the magneto. Max BURKE Nulkaba 2325 Australia

Hi Max and all,

Thanks for the info.  I have had minor success with seals between the flywheel and crankcase.  One thing I have noticed is that the petcocks on my car were quite long, meaning I have been putting a lot of oil. See this thread:

I have cut the tubes on my petcocks back to what Karl's are in this photo (about 1.5 inches from bottom of thread) down from nearly 2 inches.  This results in significantly less oil in the motor (I was putting in about 2 litres into the crankcase).

I'm sorry I missed the Singleton Rally but my car has just been leaking too much oil to properly enjoy.

We'll see how it goes with the shorter petcock tubes.  Fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Andrew.