FS 1920's Top Iron Set

Mike :

I got excited and posted my photo before I compared to see if all the pieces were the same. This photo was done by Hugh in Texas of his 1925-25 Top. Still it won't hurt to get some other eyes on them. If none of the measurements match at least we will know what they are not for!

• Like 1

Thanks Mike:

On mine the 3rd member that is shown as 29 1/2" is a double flat with spacing studs for the intermediate socket to pivot and more links as you indicated. I am pretty sure that my sockets were cut down from a model 1922-23 Buick Model 45. They cut the forward socket about 3". Cut and dropped the rear pivot socket about the same. In the up position the top still is about 3" taller than it should be.  In the first photo you can see the weld to the right of the strap. The folded stack is quite a mess. That is why I had a boot made to hide this. Also had to add some padding to fill out the boot. Not all cars are well endowed

!DSCF4685.JPGDSCF4686.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Mike, my 1916 D-45 Buick has 4 top bows and this is a fairly good sized automobile.  Just for grins and giggles, let's suppose that these irons ARE for a Buick.  If that is the case, then I would be thinking that they are from a much smaller 4-Cylinder touring what with there only being three bows.  I wish that I could post a photo or two of my '16 to show the 4 top bows, but this new program simply will not let me, so, you guys are just going to have to rely on my verbal photos.  The AACA spends thousands upon thousands of dollars to update a website to rid itself from hackers and spammers and the legitimate enthusiast is left in the dust.  Am I down in the mouth about this?  You darn right I am!!

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Hi Terry, if you look closely, the set I have in the link are 4 bows.  I'm hoping that some of the details such as the stamped steel connector for the 3rd bow socket (4th photo) might be recognizable.  I was able to post my photos with no issues.  What happens when you try to?  Did you try the 'choose files' link or 'drag here' method? 

I thought I had posted the measurements for these but apparently not.  The other thing that seems a bit unusual about this set is the the forward socket has no linkage connecting it to the 2nd socket (as in Larry's example).  It doesn't appear to me that it ever did have one.

irons.jpg