1923 Peerless Trans, tube and rear axle

Tom Laferriere

What is it?   It says Peerless but it looks like something someone built.   What year is the chassis and is it Peerless?

It looks very similar to the speedster Hofsted built and had it listed as a 1922 model 66.

Most vibrations come from U joints or wheels I would check those first.  RHL

I have some notes on Tom's car from when it was for sale in Hemmings in 2014. I had never heard of it either until the HMN ad. It was put together by Ivan Jones in the Denver area starting in the late 70s then sold by his son in the same area. I talked to Richard Jones on the phone and he said his dad started with just the Peerless-logo  speedster tank, an unusual one with fillers on both ends. He then added more parts from Florida and New Hampshire, including a 332 Cu. In. Peerless V-8 and a 1922-1923 Peerless rad shell. The headlights look right for a Mod. 66. The data plate says: Mod 66 No 66A604 or 66A6043.

Ralph Cartonio bought that Hofsted car in 2005, but don't know if he had it when he died. I kind of liked the serpent horn on it. "Dandy Dave" here on the AACA Forums rebuilt the engine, I think.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Tom,

There was a typo, so I couldn't tell if you meant the driveshaft was poorly made from new -- a new driveshaft had to be poured, made from new material -- or somehow the driveshaft was made from incorrect new material. Glad you found the problem.

Does your Peerless still have a Torque Arm? I know your car was modified a little into a speedster thirty years ago, but I was looking at an illustration of the chassis and noticed the Model 66 has a pressed-steel piece about 4' long in the shape of a long triangle connecting the front of the differential to the main frame cross-member. This took up torque from the rear axle and made it unnecessary to have truss rods or a heavy cast iron housing for the driveshaft. ---Jeff

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)